why not go to therapy

Anonymous

hi

i was just wondering why most of you don't go to therapy.
i got sa, and i'm going to a psychologist. i think that Rational Emotive Therapy (RET) works the best for getting rid of sa.

love, bb

(sorry for my poor english, english is not my native tong)

wistful_dementia

I read a book on REBT before. It has alot in it that makes since, but when it comes down to it, I think that it is just another form of CBT, with a heavier focus on rational thought process and less on formal excercises. But, I think both are helpful.

applesewer

Partly because I wanna figure it out for myself. And partly because I (personally) don’t feel it’s something that needs to be fixed or got rid of. And partly because of time and money and because I just cant be arsed!

If I ever have questions I’ve always been able to find the answer from either searching round the Internet, or talking to somebody (i.e. me mum!!!)

But I am intrigued, what kind of things do you discuss with a psychologist or therapist? Are they useful?

kody

I agree with BB.
Well, I think the most important reason to go see someone is because I think its dangerous to self diagnose. You may have some other underlying disorder, you may not even have SA. :)

Secondly, It always helps to have a professional to help you through something. I would consider myself to be quite aware of my thoughts, but that does nothing to help change them. I certainly only began to change when I had someone guiding me along.

As for whether it is something that needs fixing. Well I would say this, if its anything like the SA I know, its painful and not something you want. If its something you can live with it may certainly be just shyness then anything else.

As for what you discuss with a therapist, well that depends on who/what you go to. You may get some who want to look at your childhood and so on. The best one, so I have read and from my experience is well first someone who deals with SA. Usually people who deal with SP will use CBT. My therapist practiced/taught me CBT as well as other things to do to relax. Muscle relaxation etc. I think though, anything is better then doing nothing.

Just what I think
:eek:

Anonymous

RET

Well people don't percieve events neutral, we calculate (i hope it's the right word for it) events. This proces of thinking goes automatic, without knowing it.
So you can think irrational (thouths that makes us unhappy) and you can think rational (thoughts that can make you happy).
Or in other words you can think negative or positive. People with SA have most of the time in social situations negative thoughts.

What I'm learning is to turn my negative thoughts into positive thoughts. Or maybe better, rational thoughts.

I think it's very good to figure it out for yourself, that's what I also do all the time. Going to a psychologist is that she (or he) is asking me questions and I give answere's on that. It is like: 'what is your problem', 'well, in certain situations I feel uncomfortable, and I become an other person, I want to feel free and be myself'. And than she askes in what kind of situations. etc. And she askes me what is the best to do about it. Actually she is for me just a guideline. She told me what RET and social phobia is. Everytime from now on, I come there, she askes me what went allright and what didn't. And together we try to solve the problems.
I would never let someone else answere my questions, I will always aswere them myself.

And finally, RET is a very slow process. It's goes step by step. I already see some progress in the good direction. I think that in the end it will have it's reward. 'Cause why can I be myself with some persons, and with others I can't (or in groups), that's kindah strange isn't it?

People chance, people can chance.

Love, BB

ps. again apologise for my bad english, and i hope you all can take something good out of it. and thanx for responding!

introvert

bb, thanks for sharing your experience. I went to a therapist four times, and then gave up. Then I went to another therapist, and they asked if I had been anywhere before, when telling them, the first thing they said was they think I should go back, 4 sessions is nowhere near enough time.

The first therapists questions included the following:
So how can I help you, what's the problem? (this was unpleasant, I had to describe all the embarasing feelings I have etc)
Then some questions based around the information I provided. By the 4th session they were very deep into asking about my past, asking about experiences etc... maybe profiling me or something. That's when I gave up, I was like this ain't CBT, wtf, and stopped going.

Horatio

Ive been to a number of therapists, doctors, counsellors etc and the most notable difference they ever made was a markable increase on my bank accounts overdraft facility