why is it so difficult to explain agorophobia to the others?

antigona

Hello everybody!

I never gave a name to the anxiety problems that started arround 5 or 6 years ago. Everything started with 2 panic attacks in one specific mall. Then I start to avoid that mall, and suddenly I was totally stress in the college's lecture, in crowded cafeterias or restaurants, big buildings, heights, night clubs.. etc. Eventually I start going to restaurants and coffee shops again. Leaving more home. However I still cannot go to big malls, therefore I don't go to the cinema there, I this weekend I just went to an aquapark and I stay at the door, I was not able to go in. I' always scared that something happens to me in this big places and then I cannot run away. The funniest is that my biggest fear is to have a panic attack in these places and don't be able to run. I can walk in the streets, if no to croweded, but in general my favority place is home.

The WORST thing is that I have less and less friends, I still have a boyfriend but not for much longer. I tried to explain how I feel but in general people get mad with me, yell, thin I'm avoiding them and not the places, or just ignore or think "oh this silly and paranoid girl"... My boyfriend is one of them, always calling me paranoid, and there's no way I can make him understand that every single day I make a huge effort to be in several places.

Does this description fit the agoraphobia symptoms? I guess yes. And I would like to ask for advice, and how to try to treat this.
Any experience that you could share? Any suggestion to how to deal with people?

PS. sorry about the crappy English.

dream

I don't think you have agoraphobia,i think your anxiety developed into panick attacks so the places that triggered them you avoid to feel safe.I think you should seek help maybe consult your family doctor who can refer you to a qualifed Therapist.My advice is not to wait when you show sympthoms, the anxiety may lead to Ocd or agoraphobia in which you may be housebound.I no it may be hard for your friends to understand but if they are truly your friends they won't judge you and will stick by you:)

Last edited: