Who Should I Go To For help?

StealThis

I've never been to any psychologist or psychiatrist or anything.. basically I've been living with Social Anxiety for as long as I can remember but have never really talked to anyone about it or attempted to get any help. I've gotten to the point now that I can't live like this anymore and NEED to seek help. My problem is, I really have no idea who to go to or what it will cost and what to expect to gain from it.. I'm kinda terrified to just start picking up the phone and start calling different places not knowing what I'm looking for.

If anyone could help me with some advice about how to approach things and what I can expect to gain from it I would greatly appreciate it. I'd love to hear some of your experiences from when you all decided to seek help.

:oops:

IceLad

I've just started that audio therapy series. I'm currently on CD 2 (out of 20). It cost £330 overall (£270 + £60 to get it out of customs).

I wish I tried it first rather than spend £400 on hypnotherapy and £1600 on counselling.

kkidd8

i say go seek help from your doctor. There are anxiety medications out there like ativan or klonopin, which really work for anxiety symptoms. Also other medications. But if you are not ready for that, use the cd's and books. But in my opinion, drugs are the answer.

StealThis

kkidd8 said:
i say go seek help from your doctor. There are anxiety medications out there like ativan or klonopin, which really work for anxiety symptoms. Also other medications. But if you are not ready for that, use the cd's and books. But in my opinion, drugs are the answer.

well, I would rather not go to a doctor and be referred to someone.. i don't have a lot of money, so i'd like to get in front of someone who normally deals with problems like I have first.

Its really confusing trying to find someone that you know can help you because there are so many different kinds of people who deal with psychological problems. They all have different certifications, titles, and schools of thought.

I would like to see someone who has the ability to prescribe drugs if thats what i need, but also I want someone who is experienced with CBT or other types of treatment.

Septor

StealThis said:
kkidd8 said:

well, I would rather not go to a doctor and be referred to someone.. i don't have a lot of money, so i'd like to get in front of someone who normally deals with problems like I have first.

Its really confusing trying to find someone that you know can help you because there are so many different kinds of people who deal with psychological problems. They all have different certifications, titles, and schools of thought.

I would like to see someone who has the ability to prescribe drugs if thats what i need, but also I want someone who is experienced with CBT or other types of treatment.

Well first you need a Psychiatrist that is a doctor that deals with mental issue and can proscribe medication.Then you need Psychologist.Not all Psychologist deal with CBT so you will have to ask before hand if they specialize in cbt.Sometime you have to go through couple before you find one that fits you.Good luck on getting the help you need.