When I'm socially confident, I feel like I'm being a jackass

Anonymous

HAHA.

Like tonight at a movie rental store I walked up in line to check out. I said excuse me to the people in front of me who were in line but not facing the line. There is a candy rack next to the line and they were looking at popcorn. I figured they weren't standing in line but rather looking at candy so I walked right on by. They kind of gave me a funny look. Then I realized I had actually broken them in line. Oh well. That's what they get for not facing the line. The funny thing is, I acted like a jackass but it didn't bother me.

Chilling__Echo

tee hee, i've felt that quite a bit now that i think about.... never really thought about it though. i'm the same way, i'll get confident and energetic, wild, and excited but then when it's over i just want to bury my head in the sand

Anonymous

I used to loose control in social situations, its anxiety. Instead of addressing my fears i just fought them which fuels anxiety, a build up of tension inside from pushing down my fear, releasing itself in a giggling talky goof. Gives an adrenaline rush too, it can be addictive strangely, even though its quite embarrasing to be such a giggling idiot. Its the 'fight or flight instict'you ethier avoid you fears or stay and fight. I don't like to admit to my feelings so i fought it, but it wasn't the answer just a kind of denial

Crimefish

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. You don't care at the time, and then afterwards you may or may not think "oh god, why did I do that?" but it's always worth doing it anyway. Everyone else acts like a jackass, so why can't I.

Dedication

It's true...I always do things then later wish I hadn't done them. Sometimes even posting something on this site will give me the head creeps and I'll want to delete my profile and never return. In social situations I'll do something or say something that seems very witty and clever at the time but later I'll feel like moving to another country because of it.

missluiza

you think you have sp?

hi
just wanted to say that if you were able to walk right past those people who were staring disapprouvingly at you without feeling embarrassed, going red, feeling self-concious etc it is highly unlikely you suffer from social phobia. Social awkwardness maybe.

Anonymous

Re: you think you have sp?

missluiza said:
hi
just wanted to say that if you were able to walk right past those people who were staring disapprouvingly at you without feeling embarrassed, going red, feeling self-concious etc it is highly unlikely you suffer from social phobia. Social awkwardness maybe.

Sometimes I think I do. I think it's more of a combo of performance anxiety and awkwardness in some situations. I have a job as a cashier at a grocery store so I interact with people regularly. But put me in front of a group of people and I shake, turn red, sweat, and my voice trembles. Sometimes I also feel as though conversations with others can be awkward. Like I don't know how to keep them going, I stare too much, etc. What do you think this is?

Crimefish

Re: you think you have sp?

Anonymous said:
Sometimes I think I do. I think it's more of a combo of performance anxiety and awkwardness in some situations. I have a job as a cashier at a grocery store so I interact with people regularly. But put me in front of a group of people and I shake, turn red, sweat, and my voice trembles. Sometimes I also feel as though conversations with others can be awkward. Like I don't know how to keep them going, I stare too much, etc. What do you think this is?
I'd say it's SA. It doesn't manifest itself in every single situation where people are present. You can have specific SA, like performance anxiety or fear of eating in public. You can fear dates, or you can fear interviews. Just because a few situations are easy doesn't mean you don't have SA. Unfortunately for you.

Chilling__Echo

i agree. SA doesn't mean you're afriad to leave your house. alot if not most of SA is outside of public or social areas because you're worrying that something will come up or something will happen