whats your view on drugs?

lifes_to_long

personally I Dont agree with drugs
I just recon you may as well be taking ecstasy if your gunna take any.
seriously though all drugs do is make you feel somethink that isnt really there just like ecstasy or anythink.medicated drugs turn you in to a zombie you dont feel bad or good your just zombifide....
less about my view.what do you think about the use of medication
and the effects positive or negative that its had on your life?

JonnyA

I think Prozac (or another SSRI) might help me. The pain of telling my doctor "I have social phobia" is however too much for me to bear. I've considered buying drugs from an internet pharmacy. But that scares me too - the medicines might be fake, and my parents could intercept the packet.

Prozac probably wouldn't make me a zombie. It would make me feel different. If I preferred the "old me", I could go back.

LittleMissScareAll

lifes_to_long said:
seriously though all drugs do is make you feel somethink that isnt really there just like ecstasy or anythink.medicated drugs turn you in to a zombie you dont feel bad or good your just zombifide....

I agree... but I took Paxil for quite awhile and it never helped me. It just made me sleepy & dizzy all the time...what's the use in taking something if it doesn't get rid of your problems AND it makes you feel like crap all the time? So I stopped taking it, eventually.

Septor

Medication is not meant to be a cure for your problems.Medication is meant to be use as a tool along with counseling and other things to get you on the road to recovery.You shouldn't take medication and think all your problems will be solved but it will make it easier to face your problems.Medication isn't meant to be taken forever.

I been on medication for a little bit and lucky for me I never got any bad side affect or became a zombie.There's nothing wrong with taking medication as long as you take it with the right frame of mind.

B

I'm strictly speaking for myself; I know my case is different from a lot of other people, but I refuse to take them as 'treatment' or 'therapy'. In my case my problem is not biological, it's psychological. Besides, I was on Paxil a few years ago and it didn't do anything other than make me yawn and make me pray for quick death when I quit taking it.

Parox

Meds have helped me but after I have weaned off paxil my state is much worse than pre Paxil :? how great is that? And I got alot of new symptoms I never had before. Anyone here suffer from longterm withdrawel symptoms?

corrinaelizabeth

I was very surprised as I was very depressed and was on cipramil and then clonazepam(which I felt helped me loads)when I started the clonazepam obviously I had to come off cipramil,then doc refused to prescribe me ne more so I soon ran out of clonazepam and if im 100%honest Im actually alot less depressed(ok still have sp)but overall my mood is alot better and my outlook is more positive
will have to see how things go but so far so good and no drugs!!!was so shocked that I actually feel better without drugs!!!!!!

Meow

I agree with drugs 100% IF they help the person. So far anti depressents haven't helped me, i've tried 3 and probably about to try my 4th. Xanax helps me short term, I take it on an as needed basis but only had one perscription for it. And I take Klonopin 3 times a day, that really helps with the anxiety but not depression and this is a short term drug i'm not allowed to stay on permanantly :cry:

corrinaelizabeth

I had that meow clonazepam(klonopin)and they said short term believe me I was gutted when they took me off it even went and bought some off net(luckily didnt turn up) but that day the doc refused to prescribe me them I was so depressed the doc rung the crisis team!but seriously I think meds are more psychological really coz I am so much better off it,to be honest I believe the clonazepam was making me even more down

rubyted

what is paxil ? just joined by the way ! i am on anti depressant cipramil for bout 5/6 months now and i don feel any better !

pinkputter

I honestly do think it "masks" the problem....and this bothers me cause thats what anti-psychology people (AKA Tom Cruise) think...but it is true. The difference though is that I think there are circumstances people can be in where thats exactly what they need to do (mask the problem) until they can help themselves. I think its a tricky situation though because thats how addictions, overdoses etc, start. But if you are careful with it, and allow yourself to exeprience some anxiety everyday so that you can push yourself, and improve, then eventually you can come off the drugs.

But for those of you on drugs now, anxiety ISNT a disorder where you have to be dependent on drugs. There are many people who have recovered with out drugs. And i know some peopls anxiety is worse than others, and if thats the case for you, you may need drugs to help. But anxiety is not like schizophrenia, or bipolarism, people with these disorders are dependent on drugs for their life b/c their main probelm is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Anxiety disorders are BEHAVIORAL disorders, that yes cause physical symptoms, but the core problem is the pattern of learned behavior which medicine can't cure for you.

So basically I think it's dumb to say people don't need medication, because the brain is an organ in the body and just like other organs disfunction, the brain can too. But I think you should only choose this option if you have tried working through it without medicine and you cant. And once you are on medication, you really try to eventually get off it. That is so important.

decadeOfSA

I used to hate drugs. I avoided them for awhile. I found out that benzos really help though. I would be a total recluse if it wasn't for benzos. The benzos make me relaxed in social situations and hopefully my brain is making an association between being relaxed and people instead of being tense around people. Hopefully after awhile, the new association of being relaxed around people will replace the old association of being tense around people and maybe someday I can get off them. I have tried other drugs like Paxil and other SSRI's etc and they have not done anything for me personally. I know they work for some people though and I suggest that you try some medication, especially if therapy isn't working for you. Being on medication that helps and on therapy is the best way to go though. Eventually you may get to a point where you don't need medication and can discontinue it. Try the SSRIs like Paxil first. Benzos are nice, but they are physically addictive, but if they are the only thing that works for you, like in my case, they are better than no drugs.

decadeOfSA

LittleMissScareAll said:
lifes_to_long said:

I agree... but I took Paxil for quite awhile and it never helped me. It just made me sleepy & dizzy all the time...what's the use in taking something if it doesn't get rid of your problems AND it makes you feel like crap all the time? So I stopped taking it, eventually.

Did you ever try Xanax or any other benzo? Paxil, etc. didn't do shit for me either, just benzos. If alcohol makes you less anxious, then benzos will probably help you. They pretty much work on the same chemicals in the brain. I know some doctors don't like to prescribe benzos as they are physically addictive. If nothing else works though then benzos can help a lot.

decadeOfSA

pinkputter said:
I honestly do think it "masks" the problem....and this bothers me cause thats what anti-psychology people (AKA Tom Cruise) think...but it is true. The difference though is that I think there are circumstances people can be in where thats exactly what they need to do (mask the problem) until they can help themselves. I think its a tricky situation though because thats how addictions, overdoses etc, start. But if you are careful with it, and allow yourself to exeprience some anxiety everyday so that you can push yourself, and improve, then eventually you can come off the drugs.

But for those of you on drugs now, anxiety ISNT a disorder where you have to be dependent on drugs. There are many people who have recovered with out drugs. And i know some peopls anxiety is worse than others, and if thats the case for you, you may need drugs to help. But anxiety is not like schizophrenia, or bipolarism, people with these disorders are dependent on drugs for their life b/c their main probelm is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Anxiety disorders are BEHAVIORAL disorders, that yes cause physical symptoms, but the core problem is the pattern of learned behavior which medicine can't cure for you.

So basically I think it's dumb to say people don't need medication, because the brain is an organ in the body and just like other organs disfunction, the brain can too. But I think you should only choose this option if you have tried working through it without medicine and you cant. And once you are on medication, you really try to eventually get off it. That is so important.

Usually with a mental illness, there's some chemical imbalance in the brain. It could be not enough Serotonin or not enough GABA or the chemicals aren't working right by not binding to receptors or whatever. Something is wrong physically. Chemicals(neurotransmitters) affect your behavior and vice versa, behavior actually affects your brain chemistry. When you smile, you release Serotonin. Medication can help a lot by fixing a chemical imbalance, whether permanently or temporarily. Some people learn how to change their behavior and it fixes the chemical imbalance and there is no longer a need for medication. Personally, I suggest trying just therapy first and seeing if that helps. If it doesn't help, then you should try medication, it can really help a lot. I have known people with depression and OCD where medicine has been like a magic bullet and it pretty much fixes the problem. The person with OCD had to be forced to try Paxil and he's much better off now. Keep an open mind. Xanax XR "really" helps me. Almost like a wonder drug for me.

thequietone

B said:
In my case my problem is not biological, it's psychological. Besides, I was on Paxil a few years ago and it didn't do anything other than make me yawn and make me pray for quick death when I quit taking it.

You make a good point here. In my experience, if the issue you face is due to some past event that you need to get over, medication won't help. Meds have made a big difference in my life, but mental illness runs strong in my family and since the time I was a little kid my problem has been biological. Meds help very much in this situation.

However, for my social anxiety issues, Prozac isn't helping much. It aleviates my depression and some of the anxiety, but no matter how we fiddle with my meds the social aspect does not change. I think this is because the problem is psychological and is something I need to work through in counseling rather than taking a magic pill to make it go away.

chicken sh*t, that's me

I've always been too afraid of the (possible) side effects that come with drugs of any kind. That includes meds like Vicodin and some cold medicines. :oops: I've never been drunk a day in my life for the same reason and never got past pot in high school either.

To this day there's still a 50/50 chance I won't take a drug even if it's for something serious (like my asthma), so anti depressants are, for now at least, out of the question. Too bad though, as I desperately need to do something. :(

-TJ