What strategies do you use to cope with S.A.?

I've been on Lexapro for several months...and although I have improved alot......I still need an extra edge. What kind of strategies do you use......mantra's....breathing....self talk? I've tried about a handful of different strategies but none of them seem to work for very long.

4myself

Young got me onto positive self talk. Every morning I find something that I like about myself, I actually write it down on a post-it and stick it by my mirror. I have to admit that it does feel a bit strange but hopefully soon I will be 8) with it. I am going out in public for the first time today since starting this, so I am wondering if it will make any difference to how I feel once I step outside the house. Either way I am going to keep going with this for a while and give it a decent chance to work because I dont think I can undo 25 years worth of damage in a few days.

Angie_05

Sometimes I just pretend I don't have it.

Also I remind myself as I am going into a social situation that no one else knows that I have low self esteem or SA, so really I can be whoever I want because the people I'm meeting don't know me. Some people think you can act stupid in front of people you don't know. Not me. I act like I am not afraid even though I am because they would never know the difference. Once you get into this frame of mind, you start to believe that you really are a worthy person who is just like everyone else.

Relaxation techniques and affirmations never help me. It probably depends on the person.

I also would recommend that you remember the good moments that you have in social situations. I think most of us have had those moments where we feel normal. Remember how you were and act that way in other situations too.

LeapFrog

Relaxation techniques and affirmations never help me either.

I haven't conciously thought of techniques I've been using... But now that I site here and think of it, I've recently been trying to be myself, expecially in social situations.

Its a lot harder to be yourself than most people think it is. Especially in social situations. Part of the problem for me is that I'm too easily convinced of other people's opinions on stuff, and I adopt their opinion in order to not offend them. Which I have to stop doing, and just stick to my own opinions.

tommydog

everyone is at a different stage of recovery. i have used many coping mechanisms, and also many that have been mentioned here in this thread.

at this stage of my recovery, i deal with it by getting on with my life, and living like a normal person, not a normal person with a mental handicap.

i dont see myself that way anymore, and that allows me to just go ahead and do things, and deal with my apprehension\anxiety as just something which i have, but not putting it as the priority in my mind to the point that i dont do anything.

sorry if that was convoluted, so is by brain these past few weeks.

one of the most important influences iv ever had in my life, with regard to not only sp but in general, was my ex girlfriend. and you know why ? becuase i took the chance, and didnt give up, i kept going were i would in times gone by have quit.

lostboi

RenaissanceMan said:
I've tried about a handful of different strategies but none of them seem to work for very long.

I recently downloaded some hypnotherapy mp3's online. I think they are helping some. I can see some difference in my additude and how I'm starting to deal with things. I'm not down on my self as much. I'v gone to the library and got some books on SA as well and I'm taking my meds they might be helping. I havn't really tried meditation but I guess If I'm doing the hypnotherapy thing it's prolly close to the same thing anyway.

I havn't tried writing positive messages to my self cause it just seems weird.. but I might. I dunno. I'v also tried just to make an effort to make eye contact with people more..I want to get to the point where I talk to random people just to practice my social skills you know.. but I'm not even close to that yet.. but thats one of my goals..

Septor

I usually use breathing techniques and it really seem to work for me.Even better when I start to have a panic attack.Really does work.

That being said I can usually act normal or not show phobia if it's for a very limited time and it's on a superficial level .

WallyG

I think what really worked was that I began to listen to people who said that they liked me, and I started to believe them.

This took years to do, I had to stop listening to the internal dialog where I ran myself down.

Deep breathing and yoga may have helped, but nothing helps like really taking in that I am na OK human being. Even a pretty good one!

fordprefect

WallyG said:
This took years to do, I had to stop listening to the internal dialog where I ran myself down.

I keep telling myself to stop doing this. Having a hard time with it, and sometimes when I'm alone I find myself unintentionally dictating my internal dialog out loud.

"Why did I do that?"

"Man I suck sometimes."

It's rough. Reliving painful experiences over and over in my head. I know it's bad for me and fuels my sadness, but it's sooo tough to control it sometimes.

Oh yeah, back on topic - what do I do to help myself? I make more time to be around people I am comfortable with. Family and a couple of close friends who I don't have to act when I am around. When I'm alone my depression snowballs so I have been trying to avoid spending too much time alone.