What has a therapist told you that has helped you the most?

Bearly

I have a confession to make. Therapist really irratate me. They seem to view you so critically, so that eveything you says makes you seem crazier and crazier. I can never seem to make it past a few sessions, before I quit. I accept responsiblity for some of this, but basicly I find that most of them are A-holes that want to string things out forever.

Well, I'm glad i got that off my chest. For those of you who would disagree, what has a therapist told you that you have found to be the most helpful? I mean something general that other people might find useful, I don't want you to reveal something that is too personal. I am not trying to invade your privacy.

The reason I am asking this, is i am not sure that i will ever try a therapist again, and i am curious as to what i may be missing.

they piss me off so bad (and i am a relatively calm person), that they tend to do more damage to my mental health than good.

Any comments?

GettingThere

Depends on who you mean by Therapist. I would assume that you are talking about Psychiatrists. I don't recall any particularly good advice given to me by a Psychiatrist but I did have a couple of sessions with a Psychologist and I found his advice to be really helpful.
He talked about different means of mind control - stuff like meditation.

phoenix1

oh I'm with ya bearly. I've been to many and I'm yet to hear anything helpful. I think I'm there to entertain them with how messed up my life is and I'm starting to think that what they write down on their little notepad is their groceries they need to buy for the week. But my favorite part is when they medicate you and it numbs you to the point that you stop even caring about all the money you give them for asking about your sex life and writing their grocery list for the week, now thats fun stuff. No, I'm sure there are good therapists out there, are there? I'm just a little bitter with my experience as well.

scatmantom

The most comforting thing I heard was that there was nothing wrong with me. THe way I react to certain situations is a normal bodily response to a scary situation. What I need to do is teach myself that most the situations that scare me are actually nothing to fear.

Having taken this on board I have definatly improved. Using relaxation techniches and recognising how far I have come in recent years, I really do feel that I have practically been cured of my anxiety problems. There are still certain things Im not comfortable doing, but with time and experience I will conquer those fears too 8)

romeno82

whats the difference beetwen psycologist and psychiatrist? by the way i have a big fear of psychiatrists bur i never went to one. i would say instinct fear.

Bearly

To reply to the posts so far, by therapists i mean both psychologists and psychiatrists. The difference is that psychaitrists can prescibe medication.

I learned meditation on my own and it has helped me more than my visits to therapists. One therapists didn't think meditation was any good. I quit him after one visit.

I had a chuckle reading your post phoenix1. Yeah, i often wonder about those lists also. Their medication worries me. If you read my post 'brain shocks' you'll see why. I also read online how some of those meds cause the same brain cell changes as ecstacy. Thats a scary thought.

I am glad that you have learned some good relaxation techniques from them scatmanton. I know that can't all be bad and I am all for natural relaxation techniques.

COALPORTER

I went to a psycologist and the guy was worthless, he was even very insulting and made fun of me. He called me "STUPID" for taking drugs that another MD had perscribed. (The same MD that refeered me to him) I think these guys all have there "little bag of tricks" and thats all they know and do to every patient. Like one size fits all. Like "a one trick pony". Anyway, this dude did not even want to hear my problem and then he made some suggestions before he really understood what AND HOW MUCH was wrong with me.
I think these guys just string you along and try to get thier BMW paid for.

So i guit going to my GD theripist and bought my own BMW.
Now , at least i'm a psycho with a nice car!