Welcome to my mental hell

Cojiro

I'm not sure if this was a byproduct of how I was raised or if there is simply something wrong with my mental wiring but I have been like this ever since I can remember.

I have always been a good public speaker, or at least that's what I've been told a number of times. Though the thing is that during public speaking, I always know exactly what I'm going to say ahead of time and I can simply put myself at ease, get up in front of a crowd, and say what I need to say; I've even been told that I display plenty of charisma. However, during the events of my everyday life, I am an absolute mental wreck and nobody even knows it. I am quite quiet and reserved in public not because I am necessarily afraid to say anything out of shyness, but rather because I put so much pressure on myself to come across as being flawless in everyday conversation. I will rehearse a potential conversation in my head, trying to come up with the perfect thing to say, only to not come up with anything; so as a result, I end up not saying anything and coming across as either rude or simply shy.

I also appear to have an extreme irrational fear of offending people, to the point where I will not bother voicing my opinion in the event that someone may disagree with me and force a confrontation; and due to my insistence on being near perfect in social scenarios, I will avoid this at all cost unless I had rehearsed the confrontation in my head. I am not the type to get easily offended, so this is not a matter of me putting myself in the others shoes. For whatever reason, I just seem to expect the absolute worst out of everybody. I figure that if I don't come across as perfect, then I will come across as awkward and annoying by default. It's like my ego is a priceless vase and I'm just constantly trying to maneuver it through a crowd of people, any of which would take the chance to knock the vase out of my hands if I dared bump into them; though instead of setting the vase aside and joining the crowd, I continue to insist on manuevering the vase around and worrying about everyone.

Even after a conversation is over, I keep myself awake most nights just going over in my mind whether or not I came across as awkward or annoying, and rehearsing exactly what I'd say if the same scenario were to arise again; I can never get to sleep until I have rehearsed it correctly in my head. And the most annoying part is that I am fully aware that most if not all of the other people in these scenarios have likely long forgotten about whatever the incident may have been; they are able to move on, but I continue to obsess. I am simply afraid that if I stop rehearsing, one of these scenarios will arise again and I will be caught off guard and make another mistake.

I envy the type that can walk into a crowded room and become the life of the party, as they seem to be oblivious to the fact that they may be coming across as annoying or obnoxious to others. In a room full of people, I am always afraid to break monotone and show off any emotion or charismatic energy in the event that others may find it to be a bother, and as a result I would feel stupid for trying and wind up thinking all night about what an idiot I was being. I keep telling myself I don't care about what other people think, but yet I put so much stock into my own opinion of myself which is unfortunately conditioned indirectly by my perception of others in regards to me. God, I hope that made sense.

I am absolutely obsessed with preserving my ever so fragile ego and want so badly to stop thinking like this. The phrase "don't think, just do it" seems like suicide to someone like me. On the other hand I take the phrase "better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" to almost dangerous extremes. Please help me to relieve myself of this mental anguish; I just don't know what to do or how to go about it all. I am in my early twenties now, watching friends and others I grew up with get married, have kids, and make a seemingly effortless transition into adulthood; while I continue to struggle with this way of thinking, not being able to move forward. I just want to put this frame of mind behind me once and for alland get on with my life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blabla..

First , welcome !

I can relate to some of the things you said , Perfectionism , you want the mental image people make of you to be flawless , so it's either all or nothing , and even when you feel confident enough to act , obsessive thoughts about not having performed good enough , will haunt you .

It's never good enough in a mind of a perfectionism , we can't accept the in-between , i deleted countless posts because they didn't feel right after reading them for the tenth time .

A way out of this is firstly , to let go the thoughts , an obsessive thought has appeared in your mind , leave it , don't get involved in it , focus elsewhere , that thought will go away. This is not as easy as it sound , but can be done. By responding to a thought , you only begin the process of multiplication .

Everyone who has an ego is looking for acceptance outside , we all try our best so that people love us , the bigger the ego , the bigger the need . When people say bad things about us , we feel miserable , the more people respect us , the better we feel , the less , the worse . Ego is simply an illusion , and as long as the illusion remains , all the misery attached to it remains .

It is possible to dissolve the ego entirely , but what you can do for now is to accept that you are not perfect , nobody is .

LifeInternal88

Even after a conversation is over, I keep myself awake most nights just going over in my mind whether or not I came across as awkward or annoying, and rehearsing exactly what I'd say if the same scenario were to arise again; I can never get to sleep until I have rehearsed it correctly in my head. And the most annoying part is that I am fully aware that most if not all of the other people in these scenarios have likely long forgotten about whatever the incident may have been; they are able to move on, but I continue to obsess. I am simply afraid that if I stop rehearsing, one of these scenarios will arise again and I will be caught off guard and make another mistake.

:eek:I do this too. Esp the rehearsing what I'd say next time/what I should've said. I think when the urge to think about it comes on...TRY to distract yourself. I don't know. Maybe others will have better advice.

I did it a few days ago, about something that happened WEEKS ago, but I couldn't get it out of my mind. I even wanted to go to that person and say something like:'remember that time when you say this and this, well I've thought about it and...{insert my new clever response}. But then I realised it was foolish...and that person has probably even forgotten that conversation.

I think we just have to learn to let go. Even if you said something silly/stupid...It is true that people won't remember. But I think if you say something hurtfull...it's better to apologize after.

LifeInternal88

Re: Welcome to

Everyone who has an ego is looking for acceptance outside , we all try our best so that people love us , the bigger the ego , the bigger the need . When people say bad things about us , we feel miserable , the more people respect us , the better we feel , the less , the worse . Ego is simply an illusion , and as long as the illusion remains , all the misery attached to it remains .

It is possible to dissolve the ego entirely , but what you can do for now is to accept that you are not perfect , nobody is .

^TRUTH

If we dissovled the ego entirely, we would have to be indifferent to both praise and criticism. A lot of us like the praise part...so I guess that contributes to us holding on to the ego. I wonder how it can be done...Leting go of it I mean.

bloodworm

"I have always been a good public speaker.."

If only I could say that!

TC, it sounds like you have some of the symptoms of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Welcome to the club.

I had to smile a bit when you spoke of having to rehearse conversations in addition to the evaluation of them once they are over. Believe me when I tell you you are not alone in these thoughts.

Your are still very young and many people either grow out of this completely or have its impact reduced over time. I hope you can resolve this to some degree before going down the "medication" road.

Last edited:

OCDavid

I have an extreme irrational fear of offending people myself. This also often causes me not to voice my opinion. I've been thinking about this recently and realize that in order to break this I simply have to push myself to do it. I've realized that normal people do it so it shouldn't be offensive. I know for a fact that when I am doing this a lot the anxiety will lessen substantially. It will be uncomfortable but I'm looking forward to the pay off.

Jamminhitman

I have the exact same problem. I'm so focused on having the perfect answer or perfect thing to talk about with people that I end up not talking to them at all. One thing that I think is important to keep in mind is that no one is perfect. No matter how hard we strive to be perfect, everyone has imperfections. I'm starting to realize that I may say something stupid once in awhile or not even understand one current event topic someone is talking about. However the people who judge you or give you the cold shoulder aren't worth talking to. At the end of the day, you should be able to say what's on your mind without the fear of rejection. The voice that tells you to analyze each thing you say or are about to say shouldn't be an overbearing part of your life. One thing I've done to help with this problem is accept the voice. You can "hear it out" and recognize that it's there and probably always will be. However, it's incredibly important to realize that you have the choice of whether or not to listen to it. Don't fight the voice, but laugh at it and realize that it's completely irrational and you have the power to disregard it and say exactly what you want. I've struggled with this problem all my life. Hope this helps. We're in this together man! We can beat it!

I think that it is paranoia which is so common in the ocd brain. We overanalyze everything. I used to be so insecure as a young adult. Whenever someone that I had an attraction for would converse with me I would usually come close to having a panic attack. Dating was very impossible if I really liked the other person because I was analyzing myself and them during our conversations. I was thinking that I was saying the wrong thing or not being appealing. It was so hard to just relax and be myself. It is the obsessive thinking that really gets to us I think. It warps reality.