Weird case of bullying

Anonymous

Well it’s nothing horrible, but this is really beginning to get to my head. Of course I don’t talk much and every now and then these 2 “popular kills” start a conversation with me. The first time it might have been sincere, I’m not sure. Whenever they start talking I get extremely nervous, then panic and always wind up saying something stupid or embarrassing, then they laugh and walk away. I tried just ignoring them and that makes me look weird also. I’m just paranoid but I’m constantly dreading my next confrontation with them and its beginning to drive my crazy. Any advice would be appreciated

thequietone

This is the kind of thing that happened to me a lot in school, especially middle school. I guess it's mild bullying, because simply talking for us SA people is so torturous! Anyway, popular kids would for some reason start talking to me with an amused look on their faces and their friends snickering in the background....I never really understand it. I think they think its funny. They want to know what the "quiet kid" is going to say if you confront them.
One thing that really made me feel terrible in middle school was those idiot boys who, for no reason, would approach me in the hall, a group of friends behind them. "Will you go out with me?" they'd ask, cracking up even as they said those words. I don't even think they knew my name. They just wanted to see what I would say. :oops: I always said nothing and walked faster, but it nearly killed me inside to know I was the butt of their inside joke.
That might not be what you're talking about, but even if what the "cool" kids said to me was completely harmless, I would still walk away blushing like mad. It's because I felt inferior to them, and they know in their minds that because I feel inferior, I am thus making them superior. And in the end, I always feel like I've said something stupid and dread the next encounter.
I don't have much advice, other than to try your best to boost your confidence when you are around them. Just because they are deemed popular doesn't make them better than you in any way shape or form. In fact, look them up in twenty years and there's a good chance you'll be more successful! :wink:

In 1925 the town of Nome, Alaska was stricken with diphtheria in the middle of winter. They relayed the disaster via telegraph to Anchorage, 1,000 miles away; the closest place with Diphtheria serum to stop the disease from killing everyone in Nome. 5 were already dead, and 27 known to be infected. Soon it would be a ghost town. The temperature was 50 degrees below zero Fahrenheit.

In FOUR DAYS 17 teams of dogs and dozens of mushers raced the vaccine to the town. The distance that they had to travel (at there was no way to traverse the contryside past a certain point other than dogsled) was 689 miles, in 50-below weather. To prevent losing limbs, a fresh musher (driver) had to be waiting every 30 miles. One man, whose replacement was absent, went a full 60 miles and suffered severe frostbite that required amputations. The dogs were run at 5 times normal speed.

This effort saved the small town.

No one had to TELL these people to do this. They volunteered.

No one had to order the men to risk their lives and limbs to save the people in need. They were not cops, or soldiers, they were just Americans (save for the fearless Swede who braved infection to take the serum into Nome) who realized a town was in dire need, and refused to let them die.

No one in Nome shot at the rescuers.
The mayor of Nome did not wait until everyone was dead to take action.
The police in Nome did not run away or steal from the stricken.
The dead's homes were not looted.

And no one blamed the President for the sled dogs taking 4 full days to get the medicine to the snow-bound town. (the president was never metioned in the accounts I've read)

My, how things have improved