weight gain with meds

did you gain wieght from your medication?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

weedle

:oops:
I am looking for a ssri medication that does not have weight gain as a side effect. I was a complete mess with social phobia to the point that I did not even dare to ride in the same vehicle as anyone else. I couldn't even handle my mom coming over to my house. I had to work a graveyard job that require no or limited human contact. Even the phone ringing sent me into complete panic. I was always real thin as was everyone on both lines of my family. No matter what I did I would not wiehg over 110 pounds(american). My mom kidnapped me forced me to drive with her to Las Vegas and see a doctor. HE put me on Paxil. Within 5 months I weigh 165 pounds. Yes that much that quick. BUT I was sympton free. I was back to being a social butterfly like I was before I started having social panic. I partied, traveled, got a better job working with people. But the wieght ended up putting me back at home ashamed of how I looked. Not paniced but I looked huge and everyone commented on it. NOt paraniod comenting like I had with social phobia but they would actually tell me I was fat. My mom would call me obese every day. Well I have been off of it for a year and a half now and have lost most of the weight. IT was hell but now I am at 135. But now my social phobia is back in full force. I do not want to gian anymore wieght because I have been on a daily mission to loose it for 18 months now. And I don't want it to be all for nothing.

Bexi

It's a common side effect of nearly all of these meds, that your appetite will be increased. You need to learn to control what goes in your mouth, combined with exercise (if is possible of course)

I'm on a med which has made me ravenous, but if I give in to food I'll be fat, so It's willpower one needs. Good luck with it though xx

weedle

more to life then thin....
I can't believe the difference in the way I was treated by people when I had gained wieght to how I am treated being thin. It's amazing. When I weighed more men and some woman wouldn't even look me in the eye they advoided all eye contect. Nobody held open doors for me. But as thin everyone looks everyone talks to ya and I someones always opening doors and etc. So I try not to be the same as them now that I know. society treats overweight people like they're retarded.

emma71

Hi Weedle and everone.

I have been on Seroxat (Paxil) for a while for social anxiety and depression and have finally realised that my ever increasing weight gain is now down to this drug.
The following link is to Paxilprogress and some postings on paxil and weight gain you may find interesting.

http://www.paxilprogress.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9566

I'm planning to come off this medication as soon as the withdrawl symptoms will let me and you are so right about becoming invisible when you are fat!

Take care,

Emma