weight gain from meds?

how much wieght did you gain from your medication?

• 0-10 pounds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20 pounds

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

weedle

I am looking for a ssri medication that does not have weight gain as a side effect. I was a complete mess with social phobia to the point that I did not even dare to ride in the same vehicle as anyone else. I couldn't even handle my mom coming over to my house. I had to work a graveyard job that require no or limited human contact. Even the phone ringing sent me into complete panic. I was always real thin as was everyone on both lines of my family. No matter what I did I would not wiehg over 110 pounds(american). My mom kidnapped me forced me to drive with her to Las Vegas and see a doctor. HE put me on Paxil. Within 5 months I weigh 165 pounds. Yes that much that quick. BUT I was sympton free. I was back to being a social butterfly like I was before I started having social panic. I partied, traveled, got a better job working with people. But the wieght ended up putting me back at home ashamed of how I looked. Not paniced but I looked huge and everyone commented on it. NOt paraniod comenting like I had with social phobia but they would actually tell me I was fat. My mom would call me obese every day. Well I have been off of it for a year and a half now and have lost most of the weight. IT was hell but now I am at 135. But now my social phobia is back in full force. I do not want to gian anymore wieght because I have been on a daily mission to loose it for 18 months now. And I don't want it to be all for nothing.

lostboi

I'm on celexa.. for anxiety..it seems to have the opposite effect. I think I'm loosing weight. not sure if that's just from depression or the meds.. but I'm not gaining that's for sure. Hope that helps..

Barb

Actually I gained fully 45 pounds on Paxil for 11 years :cry:
I am on other meds now and have started to loose :D only 5 pounds so far though it's only been a few weeks on new meds. *hope*hope*hope*

~Barb

Barb

Forgot to post what the meds are LOL- Zoloft-for depression 50mg daily
- Lorazepam (Ativan) 2mg daily

~Barb

weedle

good luck on the zoloft barb. I gained 20 [pounds on that! but I just got a new perscription and since I have been off of drugs for 18 months now I am going to start zoloft. I am just waiting for a good time to start it. I hope that I can control my weight on this. I took it as a teenager for a while and didn't gaoin any weight. so the last time I took zoloft might have been a coincdence because I was going through a seperation and just had a baby. but I didn't gain the wieght from the pregnancy it was afterwards that I did. I started taking zoloft the day I delivered because I couldn't take effexor and breast feed. but hey effexor made me loose 20 pounds almost imidiatlly but was very very strong and addicting.

Barb

The Zoloft may have a wait gain side effect, but I have very little apitite I guess from the Lorazepam.

I'm a bit worried though because I can't stay on the Larazepam forever and then I guess I'll be left with the side effects of Zoloft. :roll:

I'm hopeing to shed as much weight as possible durring my Lorazepam use, and hopfully keep up the exercise (which the lack of contributed to my weight gain before)

~Barb

nate1956

hi

only been on lexapro for 3 weeks. havent seen any weight gain at all.
would be nice to have 20-25 lbs. more on me. only 140 lbs.

Barb

Hi Nate :D
I had no clue what to expect from the meds when I last posted. It seems it's the Zoloft that had taken my apitite away and I lost 23 pounds. I am still on the Lorazepam, and this seems to have no affect on apitite at all.
Like I said earlier, Paxil made me gain a lot of weight if that is your concern.

I'm now taking-
Lorazepam 1/2 mg daily
Zoloft 75 mg daily

pyzunia

hi
i was taking at first efectin er, then seroxat. it lasted more or less one year. and i didn't put on weight at all. so maybe those meds aren't so bad...
i think it depends from many factors if someone gains some extra kilos or not. maybe some people are just eating too much, when they are on meds... :wink: