Walking

One of the reasons I don't get out of the house everyday is: because I feel I don't have a reason to get out of the house that day.

But I do have a reason to get out of the house everyday and that is: I'm overweight and out of shape.

So I was wondering if anyone would like to join me in an online support group of people who get out of the house daily to: walk.

I'm about 5' 8" tall and I'm weighing about 200 pounds, according to the wikipedia article on BMI (body mass index) this makes me: obese.

Here's the formula: 703 * ( weight / ( height * height ) ) where weight is given in pounds and height is given in inches.

I know it seems like a minor thing to people without social anxiety, but leaving the house everyday is hard for me. But it is something I want to do for my health, both physical and mental. So I'm proposing: heading to the nearest park everyday and walking at least an hour. Preferably in the sunshine with some cool tunes in my headphones. I'm hoping others will join me in this goal and we can talk about it here. So would anyone like to share this goal and their feelings about it with me?

Nadine333

Hey Sabbath,

I would just like to say sorry nobody has replied to your post before now, I think you should go ahead and start walking, I would like to commend you on such a positive post and thinking of taking such a positive step in your life. It can only make things better for you and its proven that exercise releases hormones that make you feel positive. So Good Luck & I hope you stick with it. & let us all know wont you

Break a leg :wink:

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

r0ck0ut04

Hey whats up man, Ill give it a try I need the excercise myself, I got to start working out again too.

aguppylife

Preferably in the sunshine with some cool tunes in my headphones

Wear some sunglasses and cap. I somehow feel that works. Its as if its a mask like spiderman or batman wears. 8)

PunkyMonkey

Hey- walking is a good idea. I walk for at least 3o minutes every day with my dog, just so I am out and doing something. It really helps with my feeling that I have't wasted all of my free time completely, and it takes away some of my guilt for not really wanting to go do something with my friends. I actually just got back from walking my dog, and it was hot, but fun. We were out there for almost an hour. I would say definitely go to a good park if you can find one. I used to walk my dog around the neighborhood and at smaller paved parks, but that made me nervous sometimes. I would feel a lot of anxiety just standing at a traffic light or something. Parks are good if you want to just be a little alone....late mornings are usually less crowded, and late evenings. That's usually when I go. Well- walking is a good idea, and I hope you like doing it! If you really like it, you could try some good hiking too. I dunno about the music though, I usually leave my iPod in the car because being out there is my chance to enjoy real silence and have a good chance to think.

Walking is an extremely good idea. This may be arguable but the best time to walk is 2-3 hours before bed time, a brisk 20 minute walk can do wonders, and itcan improve your sleep patterns. This is a win- win situation because the better you sleep the more encouraged you will be to walk and the more you walk the better you sleep. I do training with people suffering from social anxiety disorders and I suffer from the same disorderds myself and the first step I get my clients to make is a simple brisk 20 minute walk.

Of course I realise how hard it can be to leave the house, I still have troubles myself sometimes, but it is a good goal to start with. I believe in taking things one goal at a time, don't jump straight into a situation that will cause extreme anxiety start slow a 5 minute walk, then a 10 minute walk then a 15 minute walk the a 20 minute walk. Baby Steps one goal at a time.