Vent about class

lilmutegirl

So, we had a group project in class. Five members per group. We decided that two of us would collaborate on one part, and two on another part, with the fifth person basically keeping us on task. Then we each contributed to the overall project. Well, two of the people who were supposed to work with others (including the girl I was supposed to work with) pretty much did everything without consulting the rest of us, and just sent emails with their final product. I was able to do the other part, but felt pretty crappy about it. Another group member (who was supposed to work with the other one who hijacked the project) approached me, asking if we should say something to the instructor. Ultimately, we decided not to. For our feedback (submitted to the instructor) on this project, I was honest, but nice, about the fact that something I agreed to collaborate on was done without consulting me, and that I probably didn't deserve full credit because I should have spoken up and done more, but by the time I realized that was even an issue, the work had been done. I got 20/25 points, and the instructor commented that she didn't think it would be fair to give me full credit, because based on the rest of the group's feedback, she didn't think I contributed enough.
I agree that I should have done more, but since a couple of members of the group jumped ahead of the timeline we all agreed upon, unless I totally changed what someone else did, or pointed out that she didn't talk to me about the work, there wasn't much I could do about that part. When I offered to help anyone, they declined. I'm pretty pissed that I tried to contribute more, and was denied the opportunity, and now I am being punished for it.

Miserum

I wasn't a big fan of group projects in school. There's usually bound to be some miscommunication and sometimes you take the brunt of it. Take this as a learning experience and be extra alert and communicative next time you have to work on a project with other people.

Last edited:

lilmutegirl

I have thought about what I could have done differently in this particular situation, and how to handle similar ones in the future to avoid this from happening again. Unfortunately, I feel like it may be difficult to find a way to avoid it--depending on the other people involved. I am sure I'm overthinking, but after the other girl emailed the entire group that she had done our part, the only thing I can think of that I could have done would be to email her directly or email the instructor, but that wouldn't change the fact that she had already done all the work. Prior to that, I had no reason to believe that I needed to contact her regarding our part, since it was supposed to be done toward the end of the project. I really feel that she should have contacted me before starting it so we could collaborate, instead of doing it all and informing the group collectively.
However, I have also thought about the fact that I could have tried to do more in the aftermath of all this, which I tried to do (I offered to help people with stuff, but they didn't want help), so...what could I do?? At this point, it seems like it wouldn't do any good to contact the instructor or the other group member, as it would just look like I am whining.
If I have to work with this other girl in the future, I guess I will just have to be more proactive/aggressive in my approach to work to make sure she doesn't take over again.
I also know that she has previously applied for a job at the organization I work for, so I am afraid she may actually get one some time in the future (there will be job openings in the next couple of years). I loathe the idea of having to work with her. Maybe she's not that bad in general, but this experience has put a bad taste in my mouth.

Miserum

Yeah probably wouldn't do much good to contact your professor at this point; they won't want to listen to it.

And yes! Be proactive in your future endeavors. Be the assertive type I say.

Hopefully, you won't have to deal with this girl again. At least you know now that she might be trouble, so if she does get the job you'll have a heads up on her dubious ways.