Valium Increase

MaineJaybooJazz

Today was my 3rd psychologist therapy, and my first psychiatrist meeting. First of all, my diagnosis:

Social Anxiety
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Paranoia

And the medications I was today prescribed:

Depakote 250MGS [30]
Ativan 0.5MGS [10]
Valium 10MGS [30]
Zoloft 50MGS [30]

My reason for seeking therapy and medication was for my overbearing anxiety. It prevents my day to day activities outside my home. That said, I am not happy with what was prescribed to me, and here is why:

Before seeking help due to lack of financial means, I experienced high anxiety [to the point of numbing in my hands/feet] and actually visited the ER probably a total of 3 times. I was prescribed Xanax at the ER, and they helped. I was also given Xanax by a family member when they were with me and I would experience a panic attack first hand. So, basically after that, I was by means of it being available to me through a friend, self-medicating with approximately [and no more, never an increase] 2 2MG Xanaxes a day.

No I did not tell me psychiatrist this [some judge and therefore won't prescribe what I need when in fact the only reason I self-medicated was because if I didn't, I wouldn't have been able to handle my anxiety]. I did however, point out that I did receive it at the ER and through a family member when needed and it helped, alot.

But I'm not some junkie who is out for Xanax, I am someone who just wants to get a grasp on my anxiety the right way. I am actually happy with receiving Valium as it works for me and Ativan for fast relief. What I am not happy with is how many I was given. So basically I would like to know this: would telling my psychiatrist about the self-medicating myself hurt my credentials or help them as she may up my meds? What I would be extremely happy with and have my anxiety in check would be:

Valium 10MG [60 or 90 a month]
That is at the most 3 a day but I would be happy with just 2 a day.

I would be fine without the Ativan as the Valium would nip it in the bud, but the fast relief does help. She seemed to be promoting Klonopin and how it's great and more in her grasp, though I explained I was on that by a doctor twice [15 and 23], and neither time did it help. She also noted that she didnt want to continue with Valium if she didn't have to but that would really hurt me if she didn't at our session next month because that is the main thing that will help me!

So, how do I [or do I even] explain to her that I would feel my anxiety would be easily managed with Valium at least 2 or at the most 3 times a day? Even if that means cutting out the 10 Ativan [which isn't a lot at all considering I have self-medicated with that and had to take 3 0.5MGS to ease my stress].

Please tell me the best way to go about explaining to my psychiatrist that 2 or 3 10MG Valium a day I feel would better handle my stress and keep it in check [no self-medication needed] without sounding like someone who is just wanting a pump of meds [as I do not take them for recreational use; I have 4 kids and I take them to keep my anxiety in check because i know how horrible it is and I become to those around me when I am on edge.]

Update:

I called.

In shock, I found that my psychologist has moved without any notification to Oklahoma and now I have a new psychologist and need to make an appointment. Secondly, I spoke to a nurse, explained that I could do without the Ativan if I would be allowe two 10 MG Valium a day. She called back after speaking with my psychiatrist with this:

"It shows she has you on BuSpar [God please no. Tried this before, it did not work at all]. However, she said just continue taking your Valium 10MG once a day [half in the morning half at night]."

So, what does this mean? I'm automatically going to be told no for a increase at my next appointment Dec. 1st? No way am I taking BuSpar, and she kept pushing for Klonopin since she said sh has "a good grasp on it and can prescribe me a high milligram". I would really love to be prescribe 2 10MG Valium a day - reason: THEY HELP! They help more than anything I have ever taken. Any advice on why she didn't approve my upping of meds? What to do if she recommends Buspar? And if Valium isn't an option - what MG of Klonopin may help considering I've been precribed 0.5MGs in the past once a day and 1MG twice a day and it does not help me.

Confused. And sort of baffled.

MaineJaybooJazz

And also while we are being quite honest, my drug addict sister who I cut off contact with years ago went in and lied to her extent of anxiety [not being able to work, etc.], and cutting up her arms for attention everytime a boy dumps her to get him back out of pity and walked out with 90 10MG Valiums which within a matter of 24 hours she went and sold to the highest bidder. So yes, it sort of makes me angry as to why someone who is going to sell their meds and doesn't need them can get that at 16 years old, but yet a 24 year old mother of four who has no history of drug abuse, never tried any drug at all but marijuana way back in my teen years, does not drink, and is finally trying to do the right thing and get control of my anxiety is having a hard time being prescribed the same amount or at least 2 10MGS a day.

What does it mean that my chart says BuSpar? Why the "no, just continue taking half twice a day"....is that a sign that I'm going to have a hard time even continuing on Valium, the one thing that helps me when this is my first time even being prescribed it!? I also found out that the psychs there are contractual psychs as they are lacking and have no permanent ones; the one I have is even being transferred in January. What should I even say to her when I go back? Should I bring up my aggravation that someone like that can get prescribed something they don't need? Could I just ask and hope to receive? And if I am told no, what in the hell do I do? It's amazing to me how the thought of what the psych is going to do stresses me out when she is suppose to be my stress relief!

doesit

firstly valium is long lasting and slow to kick in medication,that said id doesnt really compare to xanax ,as xanax kicks in fast but leaves body fast aswell tho leaving you on the edge again fast.But the thing is two of them belong to the benzo group which means addiction in the long term,thats why you get small doses,as eventually youll build up tolerance and they stop working.Now if i were you i wouldnt take meds everyday-that said im not a doctor to give advise on such issues,so basically next time you have appointment explain them how you feel and tell them what helps you,as dosage of 10mg valium is relatively small amount to take and smaller if split in half,so determine when do you really need the meds and tell that to your doctor,otherwise your only building up tolerance to valium in the long term use,as valium stops working after about 4-8h and takes 1day to couple weeks time to leave the body,that way it builds up in your system,so if you take small amounts daily by the end of the week you have already high dosage in your body.Now as you gave a list of medications that you got prescribed id rather take the valium out and ask for some sleeping pills instead,as eventually you will become addicted,trust me on that,its ok to feel anxiety that what makes us human but wanting to numb that feeling completely makes you no better.