US Botox users and insurance

Congobongo

After seeing a dermatologist for my palmar HH, he highly recommended Botox as a treatment. I was sold on it after trying the antiperspirants, time consuming Drionic machine, and the non-effective Robinul. The doctor and I filled out a form that Allergan provides to see if my insurance will cover the procedure. Like always, my insurance company denied coverage since they classified it as a "cosmetic" procedure.

Has anyone in the US had any luck with insurance covering the costs of Botox? It sounds like Botox is the technology and cure for HH today, but it is just unavailable to the masses. For the success stories, what kind of coverage do you have?

causeeffect

I recently discovered that Botox is covered for the treatment of hyperhidrosis under Aetna.

"Aetna considers treatment of intractable, disabling primary hyperhidrosis with botulinum toxin type A (Botox), botulinum toxin type B (Myobloc) (see CPB 113 - Botulinum Toxin) or iontophoresis (see CPB 229 - Iontophoresis) (electrophoresis, Drionic device) medically necessary when all of the following criteria are met:

Topical aluminum chloride or other extra-strength antiperspirants are ineffective or result in a severe rash; and
Member is unresponsive or unable to tolerate pharmacotherapy prescribed for excessive sweating (e.g., anti-cholinergics, beta-blockers, benzodiazapines) if sweating is episodic; and

Significant disruption of professional and/or social life has occurred because of excessive sweating.
"
http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/500_599/0504.html

I am planning on have it done tomorrow. I have a feeling I will be doing a lot of paperwork, filling out appeals and calling aetna numerous times before they actually cover it.

iDShaDoW

I have Optimum Choice, Inc. through work (they're part of United HealthCare).

Visited a podiatrist who was listed as an up-to-date doctor on hyperhidrosis at the sweathelp.org site.

He recommended Botox and sent a letter to my insurance, about 2-3 weeks later I received a letter from my insurance stating that they'll cover 100 units or something so now I'm gonna call the podiatrist and try and get scheduled to have it done next week when I have vacation days.

Hopefully I can talk him into getting insurance to cover a iontophoresis machine too for when I quit work and won't have insurance covering the Botox.

Supposedly the shots can be real painful but he said they can put me out while they do the injections.

causeeffect

I just came back from the doctor and even though he does except Aetna insurance he said he would NOT do it because they never reimburse himeven though they say they cover it. ARGH. I wish they told me that before I wasted hours going the place. *&N^*&!IU$#UI$.