Too shy to go into public places

gfkb

I often find myself walking past places like shops, art galleries etc and feel to shy to go in. I feel like everyone is looking at me, that i stand out or am an intruder.. it's even worse if I have to interact with someone. like going into a gallery and there are people on the doors watching people coming in and out, or into a shop and staff keep asking if i need any help. anyone else get this feeling?

no1

Banned
well at least you walk by in the first place. it's hard for me to get out the house and just walk.
I dunno I guess it isn't that hard tho once I'm out there.. I might feel a little self conscious every now and then or I might think about who's looking at me, etc.

faithnomore

Banned
It's mostly the anticipation anxiety that stops me. I get put off because of past experiences, or just by seeing couples out and about.

I would feel bad and lame because i would usually be on my own, and i'd compare my situation to theirs.

Now i have got to notice that every time i manage go out, it is a positive step towards happiness.

Hopefully i will get over my anxiety and be able to go out without panicking. The hope needs to change to reality.

Last edited:

NothingElseMatters

I often find myself walking past places like shops, art galleries etc and feel to shy to go in. I feel like everyone is looking at me, that i stand out or am an intruder.. it's even worse if I have to interact with someone. like going into a gallery and there are people on the doors watching people coming in and out, or into a shop and staff keep asking if i need any help. anyone else get this feeling?

i feel more 'ok' in social situations than in the past.But shops?shops can be scary.especially the small ones with one or two assistants watching me.brrrr...sometimes i end up buying staff i didn even want to just to get out of there::p:

some uplifting music helps before you go out.and maybe as you get closer and closer to the place you are going, try to make yourself a bit pissed off.get in a*stop staring at me or i'll kick your ass attidute'.it's not 'healthy' and it's not the solution but it's better than feeling everyone is gonna jump on you

I don't remember if I ever been in clothes shop alone. I go there with my mom or sometimes with a friend. Atleast I'm economical... I have a stupid feeling that going in the shop alone is bad. I don't know where I get this thought :|

thor01

Yes I do find going into some shops quite difficult, like supermarkets if they're busy, and sometimes even take aways. I hate going to get fish and chips from up the road, even if I really feel like them, I usually just end up eating something that's already in the house instead.

Last edited: