This happens to you, doesn't it.

icefox

If you have SP, like I do, then I'm sure you've noticed this numerous times in the past. You're a student in school, and you just entered the classroom, and as you walk in you kind of feel like everyone is looking at you. And actually they are, but not to the intensity that you're thinkin, but you can't help feeling that way. However, that's not my point. Here's the crazy thing. When you sit down and start reading your textbook, don't you have the HARDEST time concentrating on the words? You can read a sentence 10 times sometimes and still not understand what is said. Some sort of intensely nagging force keeps tellin you to "pay attention to the people around you". Right! Even if the room is quiet it still happens, let alone loud. And that's proven because if someone new happens to enter the classroom, you feel this intense urge to stop reading and look up and see who it is. It's also proven because as soon as you exit the classroom and go walk in an area by yourself, you suddenly feel this rush of relief, you don't have anyone to pay attention to anymore.

If you think about it, the whole not being able to pay attention to whatever you desire is rooted in the fact that that inner voice forces you against your will to pay attention instead to the people around you. Maybe the reason why this happens is for two reasons. One, you fear they may make fun of you. And two, you fear they may want to conversate with you, and you fear you will act nervous, therefore you feel you must pay attention to them and be ready to speak to them in advance, to have the "edge".

Well, given the fact that a lot of this has to do with two conflicting forces at work, perhaps, just perhaps, the solution is to practice concentrating intently on whatever you decide to do. Feel for that alter force at work, and feel yourself fighting against it. So, if you're reading a book in a classroom, the moment you feel yourself blurring out of a sentence, fight back and concentrate your hardest on soaking everything in. If you are successful, you will notice you are not paying attention to your surroundings anymore, and only on the reading material. Of course, if this can be accomplished, the next step is to do the same thing on the next big challenge- full concentration in conversations.

A little info on me, I'm 20, I've been suffering from social phobia from as far back as I can remember. When I was small I was teased a lot, probably because I didn't want to hang out with the kids, they thought I was snobbing them. I dropped out of high school on account of the same problem I mentioned above, I could never concentrate in school and became discouraged. I'm presently making up my diploma as of now, but am still struggling with SP.

There's only one problem with my tactic above, however. Concentration should be effortless, you shouldn't have to give your all into it. However, maybe by practicing that technique, your mind may eventually get used to diverting your attention away from people and it may become second nature. Who knows?

IronMaidenRockess

Hello Icefox

Welcome to the forums, I hope you have a nice time here, there are alot of friendly people who offer advice etc :)

I agree with you completely with what you said except I have these feelings in a different place. In a bus station.

I have to get the bus from the bus station 1 to 5 times a week and when I walk past everyone, they are always looking at me. Same as me, if someone walks by I look at them. Its 2nd nature I guess, because there is nothing to do in a bus station except wait for a bus, so everyone looks at everyone that goes by.

I've been going to the bus station all my life and been getting the bus alot in the last 3 years and I think I feel worser everytime I do it, probably because more people see me over time.

Chilling__Echo

hey icefox, oh ive been there plenty of times. high school was the main place i experienced it. but even at dinners and stuff, someone would turn and ask me something and it would be like me forgeting my own name.

i just told myself to relax, take a deep breath, and take your time. the more you scrutinize your actions, the worse off you are. no one pays that much attention to anyone. i forced myself to rationalize my thoughts in my head:
"i'm just as capable of being in this conversation as they are, i'm not inferior to them"

"i'm sure everyone in this class isn't even paying attention to my presentation, they're starring at the clock waiting to go"

and especially "why should i assume that what they're thinking about me is negative? what if they have the same fears about me thinking negatively about them?"

and worst cast senerio, "what if they did hate my guts, so what? they don't determine what happens to me in my life, if they want to judge me at first glance, i don't want to know them anyway"

i've had success with that, i'm also 20 and attend college now and consider myself to be recovered so this is just my input

avenger

i am new at this point but i understand what you are going through these days everybody bother me on the same crap. it pisses me off

icefox

Thanks everyone for your input, you're all very friendly. It's cool to know that there's people out there like me with the same problem.