The Purpose Driven Life

Mary

I am reading a book called,"The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren, has anyone else read this?
Here is an excerpt from the book:
" This is what God wants most fr. you: a relationship! 8O It's the most astounding truth in the universe--that our Creator wants to fellowship with us. God made you to love you, and He longs for you to love him back. He says,"I don't want your sacrifices--I want your love; I don't want your offerings--I want you to know me."
Can you sense God's passion for you in this verse? God deeply loves you and desires your love in return. He longs for you to know him and spend time with him. This is why learning to love God and be Loved by Him should be the greatest importance of your life. Nothing else comes close in importance. Jesus called it the greatest commandment. He said,"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment."
:D

Lavinia84

A friend gave me this book to read a few weeks ago, and I have to say I hated it. Aside from the authors patronising tone throughout, I learnt absolutely nothing new. This book is aimed at Christians who are searching for a purpose in life, for direction and meaning. Suprise, suprise this book tells you your purpose is to do God's will! How is that helpful? I mean, given the pre-established views of the author and target audience is that not the most obvious, unisightful thing to say?

The book is suposed to be read and reflected on over 40 days. It is divided into 6 Chapters:

Chapter 1: What on Earth am I here for
Purpose 1: You were planned for God's pleasure
Purpose 2: You were formed for God's family
Purpose 3: You were created to become like Christ
Purpose 4: You were shaped for serving God
Purpose 5: You were made for a mission

So the book's aim? Chapter 6, go and preach to others, God wants you to convert the unbelievers! Go now!

So in conclusion, I don't like it, for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is its attitude that non-Christians must be converted.

Mary

Lavinia, I am sorry you hated the book so much and found it unhelpful. I have only just begun reading it and thought it was good so far. I don't know if the guy who wrote it targetted it for christians or not but in my opinion I don't think so. I think he was hoping it would help everyone, not just christians.
But I do know of at least one case where someone who was not a christian was helped. It was a story that was on the news about this guy who had broken out of jail I believe and was on the run, he had killed people after his escape and had just kidnapped this girl who used to be a Christian but had fallen away fr. her faith and was not anymore. He held her hostage in her home and she started talking to him about some of the things in that book and about how we all have a purpose. In short, that may have helped save her life! The guy seemed to have a change of heart and really thought about what his life had become. He was later arrested and I think he did give his life to God later while in jail. I'm not sure on all the details but it was in the news a lot here in the United States of America where it all happened.
So although the book was not helpful to you maybe it will be to other's, there are many different ways to find something that will help. All we can do is try, and it either helps or it doesn't. Many people have recommended this book and it has been a bestseller for some time now So I think there must be some good in it and if not there was no harm in trying!

Horatio

the last group of people I met who were reading that particular book told me that I was possessed with the Spirit of Hades

maybe it was my fault though cause I would always dress in black and refused to wear hawaiian tshirts like the others at the church who only wore them because thats what the author of the book wore

kind of silly though really.. that people take a book so seriously that they dress up the way the author dresses in his video of the same name

I mean honestly, Ive watched and read Lord of the Rings many times and resist the urge to wear chainmail

then again that is just my opinion, well even that is debateable I guess considering that I have the Spirit of Hades in me...

cLavain

Horatio said:
I mean honestly, Ive watched and read Lord of the Rings many times and resist the urge to wear chainmail
Really? You'd be amazed at what a cuirass can do for your posture. And brandishing a two-handed battle sword ensures good service at most establishments.

Horatio

cLavain said:
Horatio said:
Really? You'd be amazed at what a cuirass can do for your posture. And brandishing a two-handed battle sword ensures good service at most establishments.

:lol: actually I HAVE been looking at joining a medievel society but the local one disolved years ago :p

Mary

Song of Songs, sorry I wasn't trying to ignore you or your question, I sent you a pm, did you get it? Anyway in it I told you I had not heard about that book you mentioned. Isn't C.S. Lewis the guy who wrote the Chronicles of Narnia as well?
Horatio, I'm sorry people were trying to force you to wear hawaiian shirts, no one should have to endure that! :lol: :wink: However, I'm not saying people who read the book should join this bizarre hawaiian shirt cult you talk about! LOL, just that it is a good book which seems to have impacted many lives and so might be worth the read. :wink:
Oh and about you being possesed w/the spirit of hades..don't take anything that bunch told you too seriously..they sound like they were possessed w/the spirit of Hawaii!

cLavain

Horatio said:
cLavain said:
Horatio said:

:lol: actually I HAVE been looking at joining a medievel society but the local one disolved years ago :p
Cool, but don't you mean centuries ago? 8O

Horatio

nope :p

Im refering to those groups of people that dress up in armour and train with medievel weapons then sit around fires dancing and eating roast pork while someone plays a flute

nearest group like that is about 400 km away though :( and even if it was in the same city as me I dont think I'd have the guts to just stroll on into the group by myself. although at least if I dressed like a knight I could have a visor to hide my face and if anyone was rude to me I could hit them with my sword

Mary

Horatio and Clavain, maybe you 2 should start a medieval society post or something! :lol: You have completely gone off topic!
Anyway, back to the book here is another excerpt:

"You are not an accident. Your birth was no mistake or mishap, and your life is no fluke of nature. Your parents may not have planned you, but God did. He was not at all surprised by your birth. In fact, He expected it. Long before you were concieved by your parents, you were conceived in the mind of God. He thought of you first. It is not fate or chance, nor luck, nor coincidence that you are breathing at this very moment. You are alive because God created you! The bible says, "The lord will fulfill his purpose for me."
"God never does anything accidentally, and he never makes mistakes. He has a reason for everything he creates. Every person was designed with a purpose in mind."
I also beleive this, I know there is a purpose even for my Sp, what, I don't know yet. Maybe to give God glory when He heals me? Maybe it is just my cross to bear and my challenge to overcome? I don't know but I know one day I will know. :)