The last thing i want to do...

Mickey

The last thing i want to do it gain weight, and unfortunetly weight gain is a side effect of zoloft which i have to take cuz of this stupid social anxety. I dont kno what to do anymore. Im so scared to gain weight that i do not want to take the medication. I dont even kno if this medication will help me..ive been taking it for a month and hasnt really helped yet. I just feel like im out of it and my mind seeems kinda foggy at times. I need some advice or support! some one anyone!
I hate social anxiety, why are we the unlucky ones who have to be stuck with it?

spacecadetglowuk

I dont take any drugs for SA, I prefer to tackle it on my own terms, rather than a doped up state.I am the cause of it not anything else and it is up to me to cure myself of it.I tried Prozac and it made me worse, so in the bin the drugs go, I feel better since I dumped them all those years ago, I have found with time I have learnt to adapt to my condition.

Jess333

Mickey read my post "MY STORY" it's in the same forum as yours. Tell me if it helps.

you can email me at anytime @ [email protected]

or IM me on MSN @ [email protected]

Take care.

I stopped taking meds because I was light-headed and sweating and I just wanted to try it without them. I'm no longer on anything.

richkid

THE DRUGS DON'T WORK. THEY JUST MAKE YOU WORSE.

Simple but true. Simply because they can only effect one aspect of SA and have side effects as you have pointed out.

To get better you need practice and a morepositive realistic out look on life and yourself. NO one can tell you how to do that you have to work it out, be strong,smileand give it a go. Hope not sounding to patronising but you got to be face up to your fear, like any phobia. Sure youv'e already read other post mentioning advoidance being the the damaging tool well change that and take control of it.

MarCPatt

DRUGS KEEP SOME PEOPLE ALIVE. THEY COULD HELP.

If you are only worried about gaining weight, do not worry too much. All you have to do is eat healthily and exercise. Just make sure you do not eat junk or consume too many calories and you will be fine. Medication is not the answer to every problem, but it has helped many people in their recovery from an illness. I know that not all medicines are bad. Some people take medications to stay alive. I know a lot of people who suffer from diabetics and other illnesses that have to take medication in order to live; therefore I do not think all medicines are bad. Yes, it is true that you have to be careful and always research everything you are going to be putting into your body. Sometimes, though, we have to accept the fact that some medicines may actually help us in our recovery.

Jess333

Look, I used to be on meds and they made me sweaty , light headed, it made my vision blurry, and not to mention KILLED my sex drive. NOOOO THANK YOU. i also wondered about possible long-term effects.

BUT! BEFORE I knew how to cure my social anxiety, I WAS A WRECK. I couldn't even work next to people, with out my hands shaking and pits sweating and freaking out and displaying nervous behavior. I HAD TO TAKE MEDS.

So if you have to take them for now, take them, foget about the weight gain...do what you have to do.

READ MY POST called "MY STORY" okay? and reply to it and tell me what you think.

I have found the cure to social phobia...
I think I can help you.

Mickey said:
The last thing i want to do it gain weight, and unfortunetly weight gain is a side effect of zoloft which i have to take cuz of this stupid social anxety. I dont kno what to do anymore. Im so scared to gain weight that i do not want to take the medication. I dont even kno if this medication will help me..ive been taking it for a month and hasnt really helped yet. I just feel like im out of it and my mind seeems kinda foggy at times. I need some advice or support! some one anyone!
I hate social anxiety, why are we the unlucky ones who have to be stuck with it?

neddy

My Dr put me on zoloft about 4 weeks ago as I was very depressed and anxious about things, I felt as though I was a space cadet and I drive for a living and found I was having trouble concentrating, and couldn't remember where half the streets where so i threw them in the bin. I have decided that medication is not for me and that in the long run it will only stop the depression but wont fix up the social anxiety, to do that you have to change the way you see yourself and start to think more positive. I have alot of ups and downs, at the moment more downs than anything but I am working on that. If you want to overcome it bad enough you will.
If the medication is causing you to gain weight you just have to watch what you eat or go for some long walks, as when you are down going for a walk helps clear your mind and you usually come back feeling better. Well I do anyway, exercise helps to lift my depression.

Anonymous

hi everyone its me again. Well i posted this about a month ago when i was scared and i wasnt sure if i should take zoloft or not. I have now been taking it for six weeks and i havent gained any weight, and i feel as if my anxiety is less severe. I have also beenn going to therepy once a week. After being on this antidepressant for quite a while i am starting to feel more positive about things and i feel as if there is hope for me and everyone else to over come social anxiety. Although zoloft has not cured me completly, it has helped me to feel less nervous about certain situations and my anxiety attacks are less severe. I hope this helps anyone out there who is debating on whether to take medication or not. Good luck everyone!

Orlando

I very glad that you are doing well on the medication.

However, I was thinking. I would rather be happy-and-fat than sad (suicidal)-and-skinny. How I feel is certainly more imporant than how I look? How can I enjoy my life if I am handsome but feel like s**t every minute of the day? I know that I probably could enjoy life if I were heavy and I accepted my heaviness (and said to everyone else, "Mind you're own darn business!)
I have talked to many people who are heavy and they seem so happy. They talk, laugh, and tell really funny stories. I admire them.

If I had the option to pick, I would pick happy over skinny.

Sorry for going on. Just wanted to say, "You go, Girl!” You do what you gotta do!