Terrified of flying.

jixerkissme

Is anyone else afraid to fly, like me?

Before 9'11, I went to Jamaica. I knew I was scared, I was terrified. But i just buried my nose in a magazine the whole time and didn't speak. I kept the window blind shut. I was 17 years old.

All the way home, I cried. It was turbulant. I took 2mg of Lorazepam on the way home, which didn't help.

Then 9'11 happened.

When I was 17 I thought "I can never fly again", and now, 10 years later, "I won't fly again" which kinda stinks.

If I even see a plane on tv, I start getting anxious, isn't that silly? If I see heights on tv, I get anxious. I love movies that have things to do with planes..like 'Air Force One', but, it's just reinforcing my fear of flying/heights.

I did go in a 4 seater plane about 6 years ago, persuaded and bugged to go. So I told my husband and the pilot, over and over again, how scared I was. They kept reassuring me..they didn't know my fear was so 'real'.

I cried even sitting in the plane, but they reassured me to go up. So they did. I freaked. I was okay until a certain height, and then I freaked. I couldn't even look up or out the window, I just sat there and cried and cried and screamed like a psycho :)

The pilot took us up to the height he had to, then he came back down. He had said he had never seen anyone react like that.

Does anyone else share this reaction to mine? I mean, someday, I'd like to go to Cuba or something, but..I know I cannot fly. I don't think I can do it again. Ever.

I think it might be the heights more than the flying..as I'm not afraid of landing and take off. And I'm okay until a certain 'height' and then I freak out.

romeno82

like post above. cure it with eft. height phobia or flying phobia are simple cases that are cured within minutes

Biggybigs

I don't know about the screaming and crying but I'm also scared of flying and the same thing happened to me on the flight home. There was constant turbulance and I thought I was dieing. Ever since that incidence I have had GAD.