Suicide posts

I kinda like SAS's (www.socialanxietysupport.com) rule that they don't allow posts discussing or threatening suicide. Under their "Guidelines" section: "14. Suicide threats or the discussion of suicide are not permitted."

Maybe this site should take the same stance. When you think about it, it makes sense. Suicide is a dead-end issue, literally. Just post some sticky's with suicide support sites and delete any posts that mention it. We need to focus on what helps and works.

black_mamba

Yeah sure, but I'm all for freedom of speech, and if you can't discuss suicie here openly then where can you?

On the other hand I can't stand suicide threads written by members threatening to kill themselves - thats pretty unfair on the rest of us since it can cause a lot of worry, yet we can do nothing from behind our monitors.

Not sure really! :?

paul

I agree with mamba - ahhh I can see both points of view :| helpful huh. Overall though, if I had to make a decision I'd say that it is allowed, because if you couldn't even talk about it SPW might seem kind of restricting - which I don't think is one of the webmaster's goals. :?

Chilling__Echo

the idea's come up before and we decided that this is a place for support for every issue, but i can find some suicide links to sticky, that sounds like a good idea.

coolguy2005

I think sucide should be talked about openly. We can really support people that way and help them avoid doing it.

coolguy2005

I think sucide should be talked about openly. We can really support people that way and help them avoid doing it.

ColdFury

If you don't let people talk about they're still going to think about it. Its just sticking your head in the sand.

I don't want this place becoming like SAS at all. :roll:

Lost_Nomad

most people that post about taking their lives just need some one to remind them why they shouldn't, they just want some support. if posting about something that most of us feel is band its just going to make people hold in their emotions about it and they probably will end up doing it.

ignisfatuus

I know some people want to say it but are afraid of the backlash so I will: what is most annoying about posts threatening suicide is that 99%+ of them are attempts to garner sympathy with no real intent behind them. This does two things: first, it trivializes a serious act, and secondly, it takes attention away from others who need help but are afraid to overtly ask for it.

If people want to discuss suicidal thoughts or times of severe depression, I think that comes with the territory of SA.

black_mamba

ignisfatuus said:
I know some people want to say it but are afraid of the backlash so I will: what is most annoying about posts threatening suicide is that 99%+ of them are attempts to garner sympathy with no real intent behind them. This does two things: first, it trivializes a serious act, and secondly, it takes attention away from others who need help but are afraid to overtly ask for it.

Well I agree, but I don't think its anywhere near as high as 99% of the posts.

Even still, I'm happy for people to discuss the issue openly on these forums.

ColdFury said:
I don't want this place becoming like SAS at all.

Ditto! I spent 5minutes checking that place out and felt sick. :x

sensitive

black_mamba said:
ColdFury said:
I don't want this place becoming like SAS at all.

Ditto! I spent 5minutes checking that place out and felt sick. :x

I am not sure what's wrong with that place, i see nobody likes it :roll:

I also am a member there, i just posted once!!! (since i join it months ago) my nickname there is gentle, nice name unpopular site :? i want to get that name to here :D

black_mamba

socialanxietysupport.com methinks, actually I've been browsing around a bit more. It's very disorientating but I've found a few good topics and am gonna post a little. Took a bit of a dig though to find them! :x

sensitive

Well, it's a huge place much bigger than here with double members, i can't focus there :? i guess same thing with black-mamba. and excuse me :D

Bexi

I see Mamba didn't answer my question! She's so mean! :cry:
only joking :lol:

I agree with horatio. Suicide and self harm are both so taboo, although maybe this is because discussing them can be a trigger for certain people?

However, if someone is feeling suicidal or at risk from self-injury, Surely it is better they post their feelings on here? I hope this forum stays this way, with no rules or dictatorships! ooo long word! Obviously though, it isn't the place for posting suicide notes or methods etc xx

Flax

I sometimes want to talk about suicide because i think about it way too often. But I'm afraid talking about it might give other people ideas, and make them feel suicidal also. There is one thing that bothers me though that i've had happen when Im'ing with people is when someone will flat out say "Whats the point of living, why dont i just kill myself." That puts way too much stress on the person who is hearing the question. And telling people you are going to kill yourself or that you overdosed on pills and got wasted on alcohol at the same time then waking up the next day like nothing happened is really infuriating. i know these people need help, but i think its stressful for others to have to continually deal with people like that when we aren't even mentally stable ourselves.