Substance Abuse and Panic Attacks

Deadzy

My first panic attack hit when I was in HS. I smoked weed for like 2 years, but during one time smoking...massive attack. I was high at the time and didnt really understand what had just happened, I figured bad weed?? IDK. so I try again with smoking, and it hit again. That was when I quit smoking weed.

I still drink very often, but it never really felt like its taken its toll on my body, but I just started getting my attacks again. I just want to know, is there anyone that has a related situation, and does substance abuse lead to panic disorder.

alexjames09

Yep. I had almost the same thing.

What happened to me was I had taken some "hard drugs" for awhile but one day driving home from a friends house... where I had smoked some weed i began to have a very bad panic attack.

For about a year afterwards everytime i did it again, i either had some degree of panic attack.

Now years later it doesn't happen so much. I do get a little more stressed out (instead of being relaxed like i used to) when i smoke but no more panic attacks.

Strangly enough smoking weed has the opposite effect since i had the attack. Instead of being relaxed and lazy, i get hyper and start cleaning/talking a lot.

Anyway, my entire bout with panic attacks was due to substance abuse. What set off the attack was me thinking I had done "irreversible damage to my brain" with drugs i had taken in the recent past.

Now that i reflect on it i really doubt that happened. I realized over time it was the panic causing it and not the drugs "irreversible effects"... just that thought sparked the fear which led to the attacks.

sophie78

Alot of people who have panic disorder become dependent on alcohol. I did five years ago and my life was absolute hell. I was in emergency so many times thinking I was dying...anyways you need to quit drinking as alcohol does bring on panic attacks/anxiety. Basically, you have to get your body to a clean and peaceful state to be able to find the strength to recover from these blasted things. I seriously am learning how to control all my anxiety and panic by basically not feeding it anymore and it is getting better...now I need to work on my social situations...

hope this helps. :)