Struggling with palmoplantar hyperhidrosis

boldaslove

Hello everyone.

I've been dealing with hyperhidrosis since I was in elementary school; I am now 24.

I've tried various medications, antiperspirants, etc to no avail.

I am constantly having to make sure I wear clothing that I can wipe my hands on, which is not only embarrassing, but also limits my wardrobe quite a bit.

I always make sure (especially during the hot summer months) that I carry around paper towels/napkins that I can wipe my hands on.

Every time someone extends their hand for a handshake, I get so nervous and anxious, fearing that they'll comment that my hands are "wet", which happens from time to time. Even if they don't say anything, I know they notice, and it's so embarrassing.

I suffer from anxiety and depression already, and the hyperhidrosis makes it all so much worse.

I've heard so many negative things about ETS surgery that I've ruled that out of my options.

I recently heard of Iontophoresis and am interested in getting more information about it...has anyone had any personal experience with that treatment?

I could also just use someone to talk to, if anyone wants to private message me.

Thanks!

hh_sucks

my hyperhidrosis is general. Yup, general. That means I sweat all over my body, literally. So I consider yourself as a lucky person....I guess. lol.

Yes, iontophoresis is your next choice. Works great for me. Try it first, before you buy the machine.

Jonathanhh

Iontophoresis are said to have an 80%+ success rate, so you should try it out :p
Basically it's just a device that connects alligator clips (at least for mine) from the device to trays you fill with water. Then the device sends electrical currents and it's suppose to temporarily destroy your sweat glands. It's somewhat painful for me, but not so much for others, so everything varies when it comes to iontophoresis.

It took me 2 failures with iontophoresis machines before my third one worked (took roughly 30 treatments and 50ish days before it finally worked). Now I usually do treatments once a week or twice if it's really hot >.< You could see results after 6 treatments or after 50, so if you do purchase one just don't give up =p

I'd advise you if you do purchase a machine to look for a money back guaranteed so you can send it back if you don't get results before the deadline

As far as trying it before you buy one, some hospitals do let you do the initial treatments so make sure to call local hospitals to see if they offer some service like that :p

Anyways,
Best of luck on getting results!

hh_sucks

depends on your location. I've got a local clinic (more like unofficial clinic for HH) offers treatment and pay per visit. Not sure about your place. Ask you dermatologist, he/she may know it.

Or you can built it by yourself.

I used it for first 10 days daily. After I achieved my dryness, then comes maintenance treatment which is once a week. For palms area is about 15 minutes and 14 mA. Varied duration and output for my other areas.

Last edited: