Started Paxil 20 days ago... I feel very jittery

froghat

My GP presrcibed 20 mg of Paxil for social anxiety disorder and it's helped my mood a bit, but my anxiety has been very up and down. Mostly up. One day I went shopping and I was very calm and had no problems. The next day I went to my bank inside a shopping center and I was nervous as heck. It started ok, she asked me how I was doing and I said ok, but I can't wait until summer. She smiled and said me too. Then I felt like I lost control of my body and just went into shutdown. When I handed the lady my check, I started getting real tight and jjittery and I felt like I had to get the heck out of there ASAP.

I've been on the drug for 20 days and I thought by now the side effects would be gone and I would feel more relaxed around people. Is it common to still feel jittery after 20 days? I'm also having trouble sleeping at night. Before I was aking Paxil I never felt anxious in bed. Now I stay awake until 2 or 3 am worrying about life. Today I was even anxious just sitting around the house.

I have my first therapist appointment soon, so I will ask him, but do you guys have anything to add. Does Paxil make you anxious for a while before the drug comepetely kicks in or is the paxil just not working? Thanks!

Fairy001

I would think after twenty days, nearly three weeks it should be working for you, HOWEVER, I am not a doctor. I would strongly suggest you seek medical advice. I have not taken paxil, even if I had though, we are all different and you would need a professional opinion.

Peace xxx

villacjs

Most SSRIs take between 2-4 weeks to start working and maybe even a bit longer. Side effects usually last about two weeks or so. My advice would be to have a talk to your doctor, or hang out for a little while longer.

Good luck

oXyKevn

i hate paxil :x but i would give it 6 weeks, and if it is not working by then, ask to switch to something better, i've personally known some SSRIs to take up to 6 weeks for full effect, patience...

froghat

oXyKevn, what SSRI's do you think work the best on anxiety? My Dr. suggested Lexapro, but I decided to go with paxil based on past performance and because it was cheaper without insurance.

wicksy

Seroxat/Paxil is the best AD I've ever been on. It is the only one that didn't cause insomnia. The side effects diminish after a few weeks

spawn

i've been on paxil for two days on a low dose(10mg) so nothing to report yet. i suspect the side effects will come with the higher doses.i'll probably need at least 30mg i think. but ya after 6 weeks if the side effects havent gone away or gone down to a being at a level you can handle them with easy, then you should tell your doc you want to try something new.

sevenroses

I can vaguely remember but when taking Paxil close to 10 years ago i think it took about 6 weeks to kick in. 20 days might be too early but hope that it works out for you.