St. John's Wort Vs. 5-HTP

creznor

Hey guys. I'm sorry if this topic has already been covered.

Can someone please explain to me what the differences are between 5-HTP & St. John's Wort exactly? I keep hearing that 5-HTP is a precursor to serotonin, and thus puts more of it in your head, but doesn't St. John's Wort do the same thing by acting as a mild-SSRI? Don't they both put more serotonin in your head?

With that being said, which is better for treating social anxiety, in your experiences/knowledge? I don't know which of the herbs i'm going to buy yet, but i AM going to be taking it with l-theanine & valerian root when I do buy it.

Chris

p.s., feel free to add some herbal remedies that worked for you, or just your 2 cents on whatever.

SilentType

Banned
Neither products should be taken with intentions of finding a miracle cure. I've tried 5-HTP, but it had no effect on me. I've tried SSRI's also, to no effect. I wish I could answer your question..

Peace

IceLad

Hi crezor.

Neither 5-HTP or St John's Wort worked particularly well for me. Having said that though, I am in the process of giving the latter another try. I also find kava kava and passiflora to be effective at decreasing anxiety levels.

livingnsilence

Niether worked for me. However even though SJW didn't work it still gave me mild withdrawal after taking it for several weeks. I don't know much about how SJW works but 5 htp is only going to make you feel a little better either through developing a plecebo effect (other wise it isn't really working) or if your SA is caused by a defficancy of that particular aminoacid in your diet.