spaced out

Anonymous

Hi, having suffered from anxiety for over ten years now, i am really trying to overcome this problem with the help of the claire weekes book, self help for nerves. I have varying degrees of success with the physical problems that anxiety brings, but am unable to deal with the psychological problem of feeling spaced out or detached from reality. Has anyone experienced this spaced out feeling, and where does one begin to address it? The biggest problem is that all the information one is trying to absorb on the subject of self help with the anxiety problem, doesnt really register when one is feeling so spaced out, it is hard to really take anything on board when feeling like this. Any comments gratefully received

Anonymous

Are you certain you are spaced out? Maybe you are distracted?
Just a thought.....
Why not check out this site and take the test for ADD... you never know... a lot of my social anxiety and the symptoms that come with it turned out to be the fault of ADD. I was tested and I am now taking Strattera and it helps a good bit!

Anonymous

spaced out? do you mean like a detachment from reality? No, I've never had this problem unless taking acid or shrooms. Maybe you should check to see if there maybe some other underlying problem to your anxiety with your GP or psychiatrist.

JWH

It may be a different thing, but lately I've been getting quite faint. My legs will get extremely tired and my walking will become unbalanced. At the same time, I'm pretty useless mentally - it's kind of like when you yawn. I'll get it late afternoon.

I did have this problem back in highschool. Every morning, about 9.30 my legs would turn to jelly when I was walking out of assembly. I still feel it might be due to low blood sugar in my case. Perhaps it could be a deficiency of some sort, hypoglycemia or a side effect of medication?

I also had ADD as a child - probably still do, and I have very poor concentration still but not the spaced out feeling that you are describing. For me, that feeling generally comes at specific times of the day. I may be distracted normally but no less lucid.

tonetigger

just joined here and I feel the same as in spaced out, lost, detached, like everything is going on aroud me and i just am not there and it is v frightening!! I too can combat the physical symptoms of anxiety having coped for 10 yrs with it. The mental stuff it bloody hard, what works for me at times is trying to change my thought patterns although v difficult when feeling anxious. u really are not alone or going mad. :wink:

Anonymous

Hello,

I know what you mean with the whole spaced out thing don't worry your not alone. Like a feeling of unreality. I'm pretty sure its nothing to worry about particularly although i know it can be very un-settling. I think (in my case anyway) that you are worrying so much and so focused on your mind that you are less aware of what is going on around you which gives you a sort of detatched feeling.

burrsyblue

Hi all - I just joined this forum because this thread popped up in a Google search I did on 'spaced out'.

It's a feeling I am experiencing lately and it makes me feel so hopeless.

I think it was catalysed by my traumatic grief following the passing of my grandmother in late November.

lostones, tonetigger, janderson - what does it feel like for you?

I think I'm going nuts! It makes me feel so desperate. Will a feeling of attachment and normality ever return?