Some questions....maybe a bit silly, but important

Xibalba

Hi there, insane fellows:D

I am new over here, and I would have some questions...
But firstly, I would like to introduce myself...Well, I am 17, from Slovakia, and although I have never been to a mind doctor, I am absolutely pretty sure I have this OCD thing...absolutely. You are first to know it, I have never told anybody....(well, I once mentioned it to my father and he told me sth in the way of:" oh nooo, you cant have it, relax") All those intrusive thoughts about the death of my family members...I allways telephone them, few times a day, when we are not together...and all those stupid complusions like touching sth specific number of times...well, all in all, I am really sure about having it.

But I came here to ask you some questions, if you dont mind...I have noone to ask it, you know..
Firstly, are you able to drive a car?? With those complusions? I am really afraid I couldn´t....that my complusion would for example force me to turn a driving wheel....I fear I would kill somebody..... I do a certain water sport, wakeskating(sth like a waterskiing) and sometimes I fall because of those compulsions....or while cycling, sometimes I do it, quite risking...
As I am 17, next year I am supposed to learn to drive...is it even worth trying??

then, I want to be a doctor in the future, I am going to study medicine...and I would like to ask, is it possible to be a doctor with OCD? for example a surgeon? Is it possible to absolutely smother compulsions, while for example performing an operation? You know, I dont want to be "Doctor Death".

And the last question...do you, frankly, recommend me to visit a mind doctor? Or is it possible to cope with OCD without it? My parents, maybe a bit conservative, think that medicine from a mind doctor can make more disaster than "profit"...and I fear if I tell them :"Hey, I really have that OCD, come with me to a mind doctor" that they would be like very dissapointed or very unhappy or something...I know they shouldn´t be, but...it is not so common to visit a mind doctor in my country than in eg USA...we still have some barriers, unfortunately

Thanks for your time, and possibly answers....I would really appreciate them.
Oh and sorry for my grammar...you know, I am 17 Slovak boy

Last edited:
R

random_girl

It sounds to me like you have it.

Yes, you should definitely speak with a psychologist or psychiatrist, which ever one is more available. Of course, a doctor can refer you to one. OCD is much easier to deal with and control if you have someone helping you that knows the ins and outs, as well as great solutions to obsessive compulsive actions and thoughts.

I would perhaps put off driving if you really feel unsafe behind the wheel, until you've talked to someone and got your thoughts in order. I highly doubt that you will be a danger to yourself or anyone while driving as long as you understand that these thoughts and images are only in your head and will never actually happen. But, yes, feeling irritated and stressed while behind the wheel is never a good state to drive in, so postpone learning to drive until you talk to someone first and really focus on understanding how to combat your OCD.

I also plan on starting my studies to become a doctor next year. The thing is, though, this will be my second attempt. Right after high school, years ago, I began my studies, but I didn't understand that I had OCD and what it was doing to me. I ended up dropping out due to stress and because I was failing before I really even got started. I was too busy doing impulsive things to study and be on time for class. But, that's because I didn't understand it and didn't know how to fight it properly. Now that I'm at a point in my life where I do understand it and know how to ignore the thoughts, I'm going to try again.

So, totally, you can study anything you want, even medicine. But, to succeed you need to talk to a psychologist or psychiatrist and get some help any way you can to understand how to deal with this mental illness. And, if you work hard at it and always remind yourself that the thoughts aren't real and it's just your mind playing with you, then you'll be just fine. Even better than fine.

However, get real help. Don't just let the doctor or whoever prescribe you some sort of medication and send you on your way. Through medication AND continual meetings/sessions you can make some good progress.

Anyway, best of luck with your future studies and figuring things out.

sammygirl001

K, I responded to this anonymously a day or so ago and it hasn't shown up, so I'll repost signed in.

It sounds to me like you have it.

Yes, you should definitely speak with a psychologist or psychiatrist, which ever one is more available. Of course, a doctor can refer you to one. OCD is much easier to deal with and control if you have someone helping you that knows the ins and outs, as well as great solutions to obsessive compulsive actions and thoughts.

Tell your parents that, if you don't start to take care of this now, there's a chance that it could get worse over time (which is how it was for me). You need to start dealing with your OCD as soon as possible to see the best results. Leaving it will only stress you out and create problems in the future. If they are still against it, then do as much research as you can on OCD and keep asking.

I would perhaps put off driving if you really feel unsafe behind the wheel, until you've talked to someone and got your thoughts in order. I highly doubt that you will be a danger to yourself or anyone while driving as long as you understand that these thoughts and images are only in your head and will never actually happen. But, yes, feeling irritated and stressed while behind the wheel is never a good state to drive in, so postpone learning to drive until you talk to someone first and really focus on understanding how to combat your OCD.

I also plan on starting my studies to become a doctor next year. The thing is, though, this will be my second attempt. Right after high school, years ago, I began my studies, but I didn't understand that I had OCD and what it was doing to me. I ended up dropping out due to stress and because I was failing before I really even got started. I was too busy doing impulsive things to study and be on time for class. But, that's because I didn't understand it and didn't know how to fight it properly. Now that I'm at a point in my life where I do understand it and know how to ignore the thoughts, I'm going to try again.

So, totally, you can study anything you want, even medicine. But, to succeed you need to talk to a psychologist or psychiatrist and get some help any way you can to understand how to deal with this mental illness. Research OCD on the internet and through books as well. It helps put things into perspective. And, if you work hard at it and always remind yourself that the thoughts aren't real and it's just your mind playing with you, then you'll be just fine. Even better than fine.

However, get real help and do your research. Don't just let the doctor or whoever prescribe you some sort of medication and send you on your way. Through medication AND continual meetings/sessions you can make some good progress. Also, research any medication they try to give you before you accept it. You should know what you're putting in your body and how it's going to affect you.

Anyway, best of luck with your future studies and figuring things out.

Last edited:

Xibalba

I am so, so grateful....it looks like it took you some time...really, thanks a lot, I needed those answers and will take it to heart,...(I think now you may already be one of the people that helped me the most in my life:))...

Morgan01

It definitely sounds like you have it. and I understand because I was always very afraid to tell my parents what I thought because I knew they would say I was crazy, and one day I finally broke down and told them some things and they did think I was crazy they actually recomended me giving them temporary custody of my daughter. : ( they are alcoholics and very unsupportive.
but I think you need to see a therapist and be honest to get better it will only get worse if not. and with treatnemt ocd can get a lot better. I think you can definitely be a doctor with the right treatment