SOCIAL PHOBIA TAKING CONTROL OF MY LIFE

Sean146

HI , when i first started noticing my social anxiety i didnt have a clue what was going on :roll: but when i finaly realised i had to see a doctor because i felt so increasingly ucomfortable in social situations which never used to bother me. So i found out i had SP and after that it just all seemed to go down hill, ive stopped going out and stopped doing most things with my family but i do really want to. its just that i feel when i go anywhere people are looking at me and judging me, i know really there not, but i just cant seem to shake the feeling of anxiety away. ive recently been given propranolol to take away some physical symptons like twitching and sweaty palms :( but i still dont feel like going out or doing anything tht involves others i hate it. anyway thanks for reading i know there is alot of people with SP and i still feel like the only 1 :lol:
p.s. if anyone could make any suggestions on what might make me start going out and interacting with others that would be great thanks. Sean.

sidney

whenever your mind tells you negative things next time your out with people just take a minute and ask yourself is this rational thoughts? cus they arent, but i know how badly the mind can take over and the power it can have over the rest of your body but just realise its not ur fault, that its the SP
then try to notice people around you that are maybe anxious although it wont be as bad as yours it'll still be there in some degree like your friend might be panicing about how their hair looks etc and they feel uncomfortable yet they still act as if it doesnt bother them. Everyone has wee insecurities and if you pick up on them then you dont feel as bad cus you start to feel normal
try it with one or two peopel then gradually build it up to more :D

Sean146

YEP, WHEN U HAVE SP U REALLY START TO NOTICE JUST HOW POWERFUL THE MIND IS. I TRY WHAT UR SAYING ALOT LIKE WHEN IM IN A CROWDED PLACE I JUST THINK ,MAYBE EVERYONES FEELING ANXIOUS ,WELL ATLEAST A LITTLE BIT. I TRY POSITIVE THINKING ALL THE TIME BUT AFTER A FEW MINUTES IM ALWAYS BACK TO THE SAME THOUGHTS LIKE "PEOPLE ARE GOIN TO NOTICE IM ACTING DIFFERENT"
OR "EVERYONES LOOKING AT ME". I WILL TRY WHAT U SAID AND THANKS FOR THE REPLY. SEAN.

AngelsTears85

I know what you mean about thinking people are looking at you and judging you...I know for me it didn't help to try and get rid of or ignore these thoughts. And there will be times where some people are but that is just life...

I have just recently come to the realisation that it wont matter to me if people are looking at me and judging me if I truly accept myself…I KNOW that I am an okay person and deserve to be happy, I accept myself.

This is a thing that I got out of a book that I am trying to say everyday to help reinforce this in my subconscious…

This is me, I accept myself just as I am, I have many strengths,
I have much as yet untapped potential,
I have a lot going for me as a human being.
Basically I am a very lovable and good human being
who can become an even more lovable and good human being,
and I will as I steadily work towards my own future growth.
I accept that there are certain blocks in the way that are preventing
me (at this time) from progressing as I would wish
I accept that I am not at the level that I would like to be,
but I am going to accept myself,
and in so doing will clear the way for my growth.
I will do this in a gentle and easy way,
because I know that I will only be working against
myself if I am harsh,
or try to achieve this goal too quickly,
or have too great an expectation of myself.
Therefore, in a very natural, gentle, but consistent way,
I will steadily work towards my own betterment and my own growth,
extending myself with wisdom, but not over-extending myself.
I know that by doing this I will progress in the quickest
possible way because of my relaxed and easy stance.
This will be so because I am not putting blocks
in the way of my natural progress.
Therefore, I accept myself as I am,
where I am, and at the stage I am now at.
I have a positive expectation of myself for the future.
I will hold onto this vision and in a relaxed
way move steadily towards achieving it.

SilentType

Banned
Sean, man, I feel everything you're saying. I'm just like you as far as anxiety taking over our lives. People want us to go out, but we don't want to.
We push people away and push people away until the point of solitude. I'm quickly reaching the end of that road and I can't offer my advice, because I really don't know where this road is going to be like when everything gone. You're propanolol is to control the release of adrenaline within your body in an effort to keep your heart rate low in these situations. I'm on the same medicine. I can say it works in that way, but it doesn't take my brain out of anxiety mode. Nothing seems to do that, short of getting wasted, which is just plain dumb.

Peace

Sean146

thanks for the replys guys
silenttype i know what u mean when say nothing gets u out of anxiety mode im excactly the same. i just feel that im getting more and more detatched from the world, i cant go anywhere without being unbeleivebly anxoius :( ....and when it does come to going to a friends house ,which iv not got alot of at the moment, i always seem to be drinking to get that shortterm relief and jus feel like myself again..its just hopeless well feels tht way :roll:

YankeeBob

social anorexia

this topic is covered in the 12 Step Program SLAA

I have met men and women with this issue ( thinking, behaviour, feelings ) that you are alluding to.

some mention that abuse during their childhood ( sexual or physical ) is a major source of it.

you may find it helpful to go along to a meeting of SLAA in your home town, get a Sponsor, and work the Steps with a Sponsor who has "walked in your footprints".

Take care. Be well.

nhen

I agree with you, Sean. The mind is very powerful. So powerful that I don't subscribe to the school of thought that social phobics should just "push through it" or "tough it out". Unfortunately, it seems like a very popular school of thought on this forum. My humble opinion: If your SP is such that you can just "push through it" without meds, CBT, and a lot of support, you probably don't have SP, seeing that you're apparently a fully-functional member of society with a lot of friends, an active sex-life, and a satisfying, high-paying job. For the rest of us, we know that the mind is, like you said, a very powerful thing...and a real bitch sometimes. The deeper, involuntary components of it will fight you tooth and nail, and frankly, a mind already under a tremendous amount of pressure will not benefit from even more. People will challenge you to adapt, but the fact is, you're probably here because of your inability to adapt--the SP is just too much, and people only see the external as cold, hard fact; the internal is way more hazy--given to loads of assumptions and guesswork. You feel beaten by your illness, and you're here to seek help, or at least some perspective.

I mean, we don't tell a paraplegic to just get up and walk. However, with the right treatment, encouragement, and motivation, he or she may walk again...or not. That's why people need to stop treating SP like a personal failure and more like a real illness. So you have SP. Chances are you won't be able to just "push through it", but chances are also that you may recover one day or learn to deal with your illness. Get help. Get it any way you can. Confide in those who will listen and understand, and uses every resource at your disposal. SP, like most mental illness, is very poorly understood, so you'll have to fight to get the help you need. You'll have to fight ignorance, criticism, and stigma at every turn. But that doesn't change the fact that you are sick, and you need the kind of help that you can't just give yourself.

That said, if you're like me, you have some weird chemical imbalance in your brain. Get meds (I'm on Nardil, but I haven't been on it long enough to know if it works). Also, if you're like me, your worldview is completely messed up (no, I'm not crazy, but if you've dealt with SP your whole life as I have, then you form a very unique perception of the world and your place in it). See a shrink. If he or she is good, they will help you undo some of that messed up thinking. Yes, at some point you will have to face your fears, and yes, that is the only way to recover, but let a trained professional walk you through it, and do it one tiny step at a time. Attempting more than you're capable of in your current state can do more damage than good. Suffering with the overwhelming pressures of social life just isn't worth it, nor is it necessary. The deeper recesses of your mind will always get their way in the end anyway, even if it means a trip to the psych ward--Don't tread that path!

You have nothing to prove to anyone. Just focus on being happy and getting well. Best wishes.

PS - There are a lot of wise people here with some excellent insights. Unfortunately, I am equally shocked by the haphazard advice, cruel ignorance, and shoddy wisdom.