Social Phobia Causes

webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Social phobia is a complex anxiety disorder that manifests itself as intense fear, sometimes accompanied by panic attacks, both before and during certain social situations. It is hard to pinpoint a single cause (an individual may have more than one contributing factor), but most fall into the following five categories.

1. Previous experiences
Some psychologists say that the only natural fears are fear of falling and fear of loud noises. Everything else is learned so, like any other fear, social phobia can be learned too. Traumatizing experiences in social context may have such a strong impact on an individual to create a lasting effect.

2. Environmental stress
Living under continuous stress (social life, work, pollution or even inadequate diet) can weaken a person’s immune system, but also impact emotional and mental stability. In such an individual, a single event can have severe consequences and cause a phobia such as the social anxiety disorder.

3. Genetic factors
Children of socially phobic parents may inherit the disorder. Even when it doesn’t develop from an early age, they may be more prone to develop the disorder when a stressful event triggers it.

4. Social learning
People are social creatures. They absorb cultural conventions and learn from one another how to think and how to see the world. When growing up in an environment where withdrawn and introverted behavior is the norm, individuals may “pick up” such behavior and develop social anxiety disorder.

5. Neurological issues
Some research ties social anxiety disorder to amygdala, a part of the brain that processes fear and emotional reactions. Having an overly sensitive amygdala may cause social phobia, but it's important to note that more research is needed. Other studies explore the relation of social phobia to hormones such as serotonin and dopamine. Because of that, medication that affects serotonin levels (SSRIs) is commonly used in treatment of anxiety disorders.

SammyT

With Neurological causes, it isn't entirely proven which chemical somebody who is social phobic lacks, since in alot of cases SSRIs have no effect on social phobia and sometimes make it worse. There have been studies that link social anxiety to dopamine dysfunction but again it is disputable whether this is the case for everyone.

I doubt there is one distinct cause which applies to all sufferers of social anxiety, most will be a combination of the ones you stated, although each to varying extents.

I think with hereditery causes, the ability to empathise plays a big part in the development of social phobia.

acejacko

mine did indeed start at about the age of 16, because just before this, i has been name called alot, rejected in social setting's, and never had a girlfreind. so now, atage 19, i am isolated, scared of socializing, got no friends, overweight, depressed, and just dont know what to do. :(

Noca

Banned
mine did indeed start at about the age of 16, because just before this, i has been name called alot, rejected in social setting's, and never had a girlfreind. so now, atage 19, i am isolated, scared of socializing, got no friends, overweight, depressed, and just dont know what to do. :(

Take the first step on the road to recovery, see your doctor and tell him/her about your problem. From there you can choose therapy, meds, diet, exercise, etc.

C

craigmancool

to the 19 year old, tell your goddamn parents to get you help NOW! i'm thirty two and this has ruined my life to a degree which is un-believable. this problem started when i was your age too, and my freaking parents shoved their heads in the sand in denail about it and bought me husky pants. spent the last 2 years fighting it hard and currently LOATHE and HATE my parents to the depths of my soul for their in-action. they want to be 'friends' now that i'm older, so i just use them for whatever...as you can see, this problem can wreak havoc. i have decided NOT to forgive either of them either, as, they are the direct cause of this and when i DO finish this situation and have a child they will NEVER meet him or her so that he/she will not be exposed to their pestilence ridden minds.
good luck dude and don't delay.

p.s.
working out makes you feel better, go to the gym and lift weights.