Shy People and Dangerous Places

Colin

With all due respect to the innocent people who get hurt, die, lose loved ones and live in fear in dangerous places, I want to share this fact. I have never felt so comfortable before as I was in a place where a good percentage of people would target me if they had the chance and many carry guns. I did not enjoy that aspect but I did want to go where no Western tourist would dare to go and feel a sense of community. Please let me explain. When there are larger concerns that threaten not only you but everyone around you, you are not thinking about what others think of you. When a guard points a gun at not only you but the guy next to you, you feel you are in the same boat. I am not proud of this fact but I feel it must be shared for the sake of insight into social anxiety.

I was the only tourist in this place until the last day when I saw another tourist. He was very shy as well. This does not mean we find solace in dangerous places, instead perhaps we find purpose and friendships in worlds between worlds, where the rules are not understood, where our history of constant exposure to fear and panic gives us steadiness others do not have and our desperation for love and the human connection gives us the priority to persevere under these circumstances. I will not advise others to travel to dangerous places, you must go at your own risk. Know that your governments will discourage travel there but the destination governments will most likely encourage your tourism and convince you it's safe.

I will return there some day, hopefully within a year, show solidarity with the people and bring dollars to their tourism industry. Turn my weaknesses into strengths and help people in the process, I continually think of a better way to utilize my capabilities in this scenario besides being a tourist.

mrb

well its good you want to help them lol but i tend to avoid dangerous places , iv been mugged b4 by 4 blokes got a right good kicking , just for refusing to hand over my wallet , not that it matterd they took it anyway after beating the crap out of me ...