Shutting down

benihana

So, I have this annoying habit of completely shutting down when in conversations and feeling like I have nothing important to say while talking to other people.

I just came home tonight from a friend's birthday party filled with only people who I consider to be my best of friends but my brain was devoid of thought the entire evening. It really freaks me out because this has been happening to me increasingly for the past 4 years. I have thoughts that I'll never be able to relate to anyone and constantly have trouble expressing myself in conversations.

I have a nagging feeling in every interaction that the person does not like me or if they really knew me, they'd find out how scared or boring I am. In many situations, I feel a lack of verbal expression is fine but it ends up building up in my system. I've found myself suddenly bawling while driving my car just to let something out.

I have been thinking about trying to see someone about this problem but just can't motivate myself to take action. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yossarian

I have moments when my brain shuts down. I had it recently when I'd think about posting here but I just didn't see the point. For me I think like motivation I go through periods of depression where I just can't be bothered with anything. For me I just ride it out.

It sounds like you got it alot worse than me. I wish I could give you some advice but I can't. I would definately recommend seeing a proffessional. It's always worth a try. How to get the motivation? I don't know.

I wish I could be more helpful but I wish you well and good luck.

Anonymous

Step back. Laugh. Take yourself a little more lightly. Not 2 sound like a jerky jerk or anything, but humor and light-hearted ness help errrvthing. It sounds like your putting 2 much darn weight on every interaction..Friends are made for joking around.

If you find it difficult to step back a tad, chuckle, then get back in the game Coach! You gotta seek some help. Lifes here for enjoyment.

benihana

Thanks Yoss and Wd. I think what you were saying about your brain shutting down when talking to people more intellectual than you is kinda the feeling, like you can't grasp the words. In my case, I can't grasp any words at all and it occurs when I'm talking to someone who is more social than me.

Most of the time socially blanking on conversations seems out of my control. One situation I might be totally fine and talkative but the next completely shut-down. It keeps me from doing activities with other people because I'm afraid I'll just stop talking and stay quiet.

Yeah, humor helps things but not when my mind feels blank....nothing funny even seems to register.