Should I tell my docter to increase my prescription?

Fruit_Punch

Well anxiety has plagued me most of my post adolescent life and only about a year or two ago did I seek medical help for it (i'm 18 now). My anxiety has totally screwed my life and turned me into someone I'm really not.

The 1mg of Alprazolam a day my doctor prescribes provides some temporary relief (that little pill is seriously the only way I can make it through work).

Now I'm looking into college and I don't think that 1mg pill will get me through school AND work. Honestly, I feel I should be taking 2 or 3 mg a day. I need the medicine to last at least 10 hours and with the 1mg dose I'm semi-anxiety free for fours hours at most.

I'm a bit afraid my doctor will be reluctant to increase my prescription; When I told him I sometimes take more then one pill a day he seemed shocked. But I have to tell him anyway. I can't continue having a problem that is easily fixed by a little blue pill slow down my life.

What do you guys think?

Travis88

i could be wrong but i think increasing the strength of the medecine wont make it last longer, thats why there are controlled release pills.

zyxockjm

The way i used to increase my dosage, was by saving my pills when i didnt need them. For example, maybe on a weekend i won't go anywhere, so i save the two pills of those days. then on monday i get to use three pills. Try it once and see if it helps you. If it does, tell your therapist you really really think increasing the dose will help, but never mention you saved pills for to make an overdose later.

Chrisfishes

Be careful with alprazolam... very addictive. From what I understand it is like a band aid, not really helping the problem. My doc says he thinks of it like whiskey for an alcoholic, in the sense that it makes the day easier to handle. But like whiskey you will always need more and in the end you'll end up with a new problem, instead of fixing the one you already have.
I was taking 4mg a day for a while a few months ago but now I only take 1mg when I need them. Which for now is not that often. My advice would be not to increase your dose but try to take them less often, like zyxockjm said, maybe miss the weekends. Try and get back to a point where on 1mg works for you.

Fruit_Punch

Unfortunately, 1mg really doesn't work for me...

I've tried the method you guys are referring too (skipping a pill on the weekend, saving it for the weekday) and I don't like it. It means I must revolve my life around a pill even more than I already am.

I feel I need a mg increase or two 1mg pills for weekdays (one for morning, one for evening) rather then sticking with 1mg a day.

Alprazolam is far from alcohol imo, it's more like Tylenol or a cold medicine. Temporarily relieves an annoying problem.

Chrisfishes

It may temporarily relieve the annoying problem but it is not doing anything to fix the problem. And the more you rely on medication to make yourself feel better the less likely you are to do anything about the root of your SP. Try and look for other ways to try and cut down on your anxiety. You sound just like I did 6 months ago, I thought these pills were the answer to my prayers. With no effort at all I could make myself feel better, who wouldn't want that.
And also I wasn't comapring alprazolam to alcohol, I was pointing out the similarities between and alcoholic using whiskey to drown his sorrows like a social phobic uses alprazolam to get through the day. You don't NEED the pills , but your body is telling you differently. Just like an alcoholic knows he doesnt' NEED whiskey, but he still drinks it and probably will deny he has a problem in the next breath.

annie

I agree with Chrisfishes that alprazolam is highly addictive. It is only a bandaid and it certainly not helping you. If anything it will cause you to have more problems in the future. I was on it, big mistake, and got addicted big time and coming off it was not a pleasant journey.
I just wonder why people don't think of other ways to help decrease anxiety, try Yoga, Meditation, Exercise etc., everything little bit helps, but most people just want the easy way out, pop a pill. By popping that pill you think it is helping you, but it is not. Think of the toxic crap that is going into your system :idea:

annie :)

Fruit_Punch

By popping that pill you think it is helping you, but it is not.

I know those pills are helping me. My life has improved quite a bit since I begin taking the medications. For the most part, I can go out in public without being a shivering nervous mess.

Alprazolam is addictive? I hear the same being said about marjuniana, cigarettes and alcohol. I've tried all of them and haven't become addicted to any. No offense, but I'm not weak enough to let any substance control my body. I use alprazolam to decrease my anxiety and that's all I need it for and all I will use it for.

Though I do agree that its only a temporary fix and doesn't help in the long term. After about four hours of taking it the effect wares off and my anxiety returns. I'll have to ask my docter about a method that works in the long term.

-btw Chris, you're right. I don't necessarily need those pills to get through the day but they sure as hell make getting through the day 10x times easier. My body doesn't tell me I need the medicine. I know I need it to function properly. I've tried for many many years to control my anxiety without medication, not possible. It's the equivalent of trying to stop a headache through sheer will.

Chrisfishes

You sound like an alprazolam salesperson.
Are you trying to infiltrate this forum with your stories of this wonderdrug, that you don't seem think has any downsides?
And you say that you have been trying for many years to control your anxiety with no luck? I'm curious on how many years and what methods did you use?

Fruit_Punch

Trying to infiltrate this forum with stories of a wonderdrug? No.

I posted that positive reply about alprazolam because you and annine put it in a completely negative light.
As of yet it has no downsides. Taking alprazolam got me through school and
landed my current job. I've experienced no negative effects no addiction or withdrawal. If I'm missing something about it please inform me. So far it has been the answer to my prayers. Sorry it didn't work for you.

And you say that you have been trying for many years to control your anxiety with no luck? I'm curious on how many years and what methods did you use?

Ever since my anxiety developed (around age 11 or 12) I've tried to control it through sheer will and a bit of meditation. (and it's not just social anxiety...i become anxious when i try to read a book or drive).

Chrisfishes

I think maybe the reason you haven't experienced and addiction or withdrawls is that from my understanding you haven't stopped taking the pills yet. That is normally when the withdrawls will kick in.
And don't get me wrong they worked wonders for me, I even had a pill today to make my trip out the house more bearable. But I was informed of the dangers after I had grown quite fond of them. And stopped taking them regularly soon after.
Check out these links.
http://www.xanax-addiction.com/
http://www.xanaxaddiction.info/
I'm only trying to help you. :)

annie

Fruit_Punch said:
I posted that positive reply about alprazolam because you and annine put it in a completely negative light.
As of yet it has no downsides. Taking alprazolam got me through school and
landed my current job. I've experienced no negative effects no addiction or withdrawal. If I'm missing something about it please inform me. So far it has been the answer to my prayers. Sorry it didn't work for you.

Ever since my anxiety developed (around age 11 or 12) I've tried to control it through sheer will and a bit of meditation. (and it's not just social anxiety...i become anxious when i try to read a book or drive).

Fruit_punch I said what I said because I have no positive feedback about alprazolam. You feel good taking them now, good. Try coming off them, see how you feel then. It took me a whole bloody year coming off it slowly and it wasn't nice, believe me.

annie :)

annie

Chrisfishes said:
I think maybe the reason you haven't experienced and addiction or withdrawls is that from my understanding you haven't stopped taking the pills yet. That is normally when the withdrawls will kick in.
And don't get me wrong they worked wonders for me, I even had a pill today to make my trip out the house more bearable. But I was informed of the dangers after I had grown quite fond of them. And stopped taking them regularly soon after.
Check out these links.
http://www.xanax-addiction.com/
http://www.xanaxaddiction.info/
I'm only trying to help you. :)

Spot on Chrisfishes. I don't think he has experienced the withdrawals, because if he had, he would know why we have negative feedback. I would never go back on the drug even if my life depended on it.

annie :wink:

Fruit_Punch

Hmm, I went from November 2004 untill early March of this year without taking xanax (couldn't book an appointment with the doctor). There was no addiction. No withdrawl.

I believe addiction varies from person to person and their state of mind. Not to ride my own jock too much, but I'm not easily addicted to any substance.

soarer

Fruit Punch,

I would say that your right, addiction various person to person. I've been on and off Xanax for 10 years and its a lot easier to get off of for me than an anti depressant is. Also, a lot of people are under the false assumption that benzo's are dangerous to use and especially long term. If you do a read up on them and compare them to antidepressants and their dangers the benzo's are like sugar pills in comparison. Unfortunately for me I have to take a small amount of an anti-depressant if I am to take anymore than 0.25mg of Xanax as the Xanax (or any other benzo) makes me feel basically dead alone. I sure hate anti-depressants :(