self-help books

ash_2001

Because my good therapist lives on the other side of another town, and is pretty expensive to visit weekly, I am making a trade. My weekly visits to my therapist for one self-help book a week.

I know that there are plenty of them out there, some very corny and condescending, but others actually somewhat enlightening. 8O :D

Does anyone have any recommendations (i.e. SA books, depression books, or better yet two in one books :p )???

nimrodel

Yesterday, I went to Chapters and asked the guy there for self help books on anxiety and depression. He gave me this really wierd look and led me to the self-help section. If anyone does know of any really good ones, I might be able to gather up enough courage to take it to the cashier and pay.

ash_2001

How rude! You know, people only think that because someone works at Chapters, they must read a lot. Perhaps, that is not always so.

*sigh* In my perfect world, the hiring system in Chapters would work like so: each person would be hired depending on their genre interest...

That way when you came up to one person asking a recommendation about let's say a philosophy book, that person would refer you to the employee who like to read a lot of philosophy books. They should hire me, I'd show them how to run a book store properly! :twisted:

"Get Out of Your Mind & Into Your Life" by Dr. Steven C Hayes is an ACT self-help workbook, written by the inventor of ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy).

Another good one is "Living Beyond Your Pain" by Joanne Dahl. Also an ACT self-help workbook. This one is for chronic pain but I think of SAD (Social Anxiety Disorder) as chronic pain so it's very helpful.