Self Harm

Bexi

As people may or may not know, I have depression and anxiety issues. I have never self harmed before, nor do I intend to, although we never know what we will do, or how we will behave when we feel low :(
I was just wondering if many people here have self harmed , or thought about it, or overcome it? If you do not want to post on her, feel free to PM me, I won't breathe a word to anyone.
When I felt really low last week though, I felt like I needed some "release", however at the same time I do not want to harm myself/scar myself, nor get addicted to cutting. I cannot explain it very well! sorry. Basically, when i have these feelings about harming myself, I simultaneously feel i do not want to either!? aggggg :) although i feel pretty happy right now

redlady

The urge is there but you don't give into it - although i am sorry that you can feel that bad - i am glad to hear that you can resist it, although having said that you would not be weak if you did. It is also good to hear that you are feeling happy :D

My mind has this ability to just shut off - shut down - zombify - avoid, whatever. It wont allow me to get in touch with the emotions that would have to be accessed in order to do that. That isn't a good way to deal with things either - although that behaviour isn't DEALING with anything.

Boundless

As you know bexi i have/do,and its not good,yes maybe its a temp release but it scars you and worrys other people sick.Be strong dont be like me and give in to it,as much as you feel the want to,if it comes down to it try holding an ice cube,after a while you get the sensation of pain.Or try snapping a rubber band on your wrist that seems to be a popular 1 also.

young

I've been in these shoes a couple times. A few years ago. I had been under severe depression from anxiety, and from problems with my gf at the time. That I started to pop pills. I called my girl at the time, why i'll never know. She took me to the er right away. I don't really remember much details after that. Since I was going in and out of consciusness.

From there i was released and told to see a shrink, which i'll never do again, and how to try and explain it to my family. Which is not an easy thing to do.

There's some blanks i'm probably leaving out here. Every now and then when the urge comes up, I remember the awfull experience of getting my stomache pumped, and the thoughts and stress that I put on my family. It usually helps to calm me down, when times get low.

Any thing else feel free to ask. :wink:

marki

GOSH bexi! don't do this,

i also did this a while ago ..now i have sculls on my arm and i feel even MUCH MORE low! ..prommise me you'll never do this!

xxx

black_mamba

Oh purrleease, cutting is so last week.

Give your legs a good twhack instead - instant physical/emotional release, temporary bruising to show off, plus it doesn't really hurt that much, esp if you got nice flabby legs. :D

Boundless

Lol black,your not meant to show them off :p thats when people get all concerned and wont shut up about it :x people cut for a reason i know this well and i know it can get addictive and unless you go through it yourself you wont really understand why.

black_mamba

I'm just promoting it as an alternative. And I'm sure there is an element of trying to attract attention for help, so obvious physical markings are a plus, although this isn't true for all...

Ahh people getting concerned? I wish. :cry:

And I do understand, don't think you need to slice yourself up to 'get' it. :wink:

Boundless

Well yea you dont need to do it to get it but it helps,its an odd thing to do i know i didnt understand why i started to do it,at the time it seemed right i juts picked up some glass and cut my arm 7/8 times (this is going back years) now im older i can see why im doing it,but doesnt mean i can stop it just because i understand it.

I am getting help for it,but its a slow process :(

Horatio

I haven't self harmed (physically) for years but used to have a problem with it while I was at high school

Im hopeless with blood though, can't stand the sight of it so I got around that issue by burning plastic and dripping it onto my hands and arms

for me the physical pain was easier to deal with than the mental and emotional pain and I can fully understand why others might choose to do it

however Bexi, I would strongly reccomend you don't start because soon it becomes just another problem, just another thing to beat yourself up about if you know what I mean. to be honest there are probably much better ways to get a release than by physical pain

Hellraising

I do cut sometimes, but I'm not a cutter. Calling me a cutter would be an insult to the real cutters, not that it's a good thing to be. I'm just a cutter wannabe. Too bad I'm much too afraid of pain.

zoooo

Hm.. I've actually found one good thing about being a hypocondriac now, thanx to this topic. Very much doubt I could get into any self harming activity. I'm too scared of it actually harming myself. Well, that's one good thing. Not sure if I'll find another :)

Scottish_Player

I've never actually self harmed but i do get a strange feeling when i cut myself acidently, like the other day i cut my arm and it felt good in a strange kind of way :roll:

I have scars on my hands, my legs and so on, one of my thumbs has 4 diffrent scars on it and they are all reminders of things that have happened in my life. Dont really know where iam going with this story so i'll end it here... no i'll end it >>>>>>>>>> here.

Fredscars

I could never cut, like properly until the blood flowed. I tried once, when i was really really down..but i was too scared.
I used to scrape - just using siccors to rub the skin until a raw patch is left. pretty pinful but gives the release you need.
Its horrible. Never do it.

Comfort eat instead - thats my new thing.

Sue

i used to do it years ago and then decided that it was a stupid thing to do for a number of reasons:
1- it is only a temporary pain release
2- it gets very addictive
3- it leaves you with alot of scars
4- no one should go through it.

i didnt do a major job on myself but i did dig my nail into the same scar over and over. i couldent get enough of it. then my friends started to notice it and i got really embaressed. i understand why people do this to themselves. i know how amazing it feels..but i also know how much its not worth it at the end of the day.

bexi please dont do it, please.

Bexi

Everyones comments have been really interesting on here, thanks for sharing it. I am determined not to do it, for sure :) I hope I feel this way forever tho!