Self-esteem

I kind of already asked about this in another thread, but I asked something else too, so I want to focus on this only this time..

I have a problem with low self-esteem. I feel like I am ashamed of everything I like and don't want to tell people. Like for example, sometimes I am embarrassed to tell people what music I listen to. But it's weird (and this is really hard to explain...) but I am embarrassed to say the names of things I like. I mean, I am not afraid of people finding out if I like something, or asking me if I like it, but I am afraid to say it myself...I know that sounds weird so I hope I explained it ok haha.

It's just that as soon as I decide I am interested in something I automatically feel ashamed about it.

Also, for some reason I am afraid to show any serious, adult emotions to people. Now I am 19 years old, yet for some reason I cannot admit to myself or anyone that I am adult and am allowed to feel like one. I avoid talking about negative emotions or serious things like politics and religion, even though I have opinions about those things. This is especially true around my parents. It's as if I want them to think I am a little kid and haven't grown up yet and don't think about or even understand adult things. And this bothers me because I know I am an intelligent person...::(:

Basically, I am just ashamed of myself and try to hide who I am. Have any of you ever felt like this and if so how did you get over it, or how are you attempting to get over it?

i have the same problem ,
i'm afraid to be myself because my wounds are not healed yet and i don't want them to be any worse

EasySkankin

Hi, I'm new here... been lurking around for a while though ;)

Anyway, yeah I've felt like that before. I believe it's common for people with social anxiety to feel like you do. When I was around 19 I felt the same way. But, I'm 23 now and I feel more responsible and more adult-like. I don't think I consider myself an "adult" yet... but it's not the same as when I was 19... yeah I suppose I consider myself as a "young adult", which is how it should be :).

Well, how I got over it - I just continued to work on my "situation". I worked on bettering my life... being happier and more "normal". You have to realize that your social anxiety is what is causing these issues with your self esteem and other problems. The way to fix them is to work on what is causing those issues = your social anxiety.

You could start with some self-help books - those helped me a lot :). I recommend "overcoming anxiety for dummies"... it's really a great book, in my opinion, you'll be surprised how good it is. Also, medication has helped me a lot... it hasn't "fixed" my social anxiety, but it has helped me cope with it better allowing me to work on it more efficiently.

Hope this helps :)