School Dilemma: Studying abroad with social anxiety etc.

zeevogel

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a couple of days and it's really nice to have a place where all of us social phobia sufferers can come together. Right now, I am having the hardest time deciding on something. I am currently a student of English and for the last couple of years it has been really difficult to participate in courses and workgroups and such. I am constantly afraid of people asking me questions and wanting to know my opinion. I have social anxiety, but I am also really depressed and feel like life is going nowhere and constantly afraid of failing. I have been in group therapy, which I don't feel has helped me a lot and I also have cognitive behavorial therapy. Alright my dilemma. I have the chance to study in Hong Kong for six months, I've done several attempts at being nominated for this and when I finally got the nomination, I'm not sure whether I should go. Ive been going back and forth and really don't know what to decide. On the one hand I think that it would be a great opportunity to get to know a different culture and being faced with making friends and stuff and learning a different educational approach, but on the other hand I am worried that this experience is too much at once. People who study abroad already seem to experience culture shock and depression at times, and mental illnesses seem to become worse when studying abroad. Although I have been in Asia and know what it's like I haven't experienced being on my own much, I still live with my parents and do see friends but I don't have much of a social life. I have been wanting to finish my studies for a long time b/c I don't really like it anymore, but if I go to Hong Kong I would be able to take courses that I like. It's just that if I stay at home I would be able to finish my studies next year and if I went to study in Hong Kong I would probably be finished a year later. So what to do, finish my studies, have more time to for my hobbies, proceed with group therapy and other than that stay pretty much in the same place for the upcoming year or study abroad for six months, face all kinds of new challenges, experience a new culture, and be involved with school (when I don't really want that b/c I want to finish my studies) and also risk finishing my studies a year later... So I kinda have the chance to turn my life completely around, which I am dreading but I also think that my life now is not what I imagine it to be either... Sorry for the long post and also perhaps the nonstructuredness of the whole thing... Comments, advice whatever on this dilemma would be very much appreciated. Thanks.. -Nancy

van_sp

Staying in school taking courses that bore me, would...bore me. Moving to a new place, where anything can happen, and exciting courses, would be exciting.
I think first impulses/reactions, are usually right. You mentioned you made several attempts to be nominated. Since you made several attempts, you know inside yourself that you can handle this. I would go. Ask yourself, what the worst thing that could happen. And, what will I gain?
Good luck Nancy, send us a postcard ;)