school anxiety

nfg75

Growing up I have alway been very shy and anxious. In school I would never raise my hand or anything and when i got called on my face would get hot and i would get a knot in my throat and i would feel like crying.
in 10th grade i started to get horrible panic attacks and i would go down to the nurse everyday. one day she decided to mock me and basically told me i was making it all up. i missed alot of school that year because of this overwhelming anxiety. i was put on zoloft and everything seemed fine. in 11th grade the anxiety still caused me to be absent alot, but i wasnt having as many panic attacks and i was doing really well in school.

my problem now is that i am 6 weeks from hopefully graduating high school. i havent been to school in 3 weeks because im so overly anxious. i dont know what exactly makes me anxious but i just cant go. i wake up and ill get ready and i just cant get through the door. im on 2 medications and nothing seems to be working. i get anxious just thinking about walking through the hallways. my school does this thing that after you miss a certian amount of days you have to do a huge project, well ive already done two and probably have 2 more on the way. i feel like i just cant win. everyone in my school including social workers have basically told me just to start going to school as if my anxiety and panic will magically go away. im scared of failing but i dont know what to do. my school will not work with either me or my parents with helping me get through this year. im not asking for an easy way out, i just need help.

im afriad of being this way for the rest of my life. i have so many things i want to do and i dont want to let my anxiety hold me back anymore. im sorry for such a long post, im just lost and i dont know what i can do

Johnd

Hi

Hi, you seem like a great student. Can you tell what happened that started this school phobia?

Johnd

Hi

Hi, you seem like a great student. Can you tell what happened that started this school phobia?

nfg75

i get good grades but i have no idea to why i have this anxiety. i just get so anxious about going i cant even get out of bed in the morning.

Van

I know how you feel same thing with me whenever i wake up and its a school day i get anxious just thinking of driving to school,walking to class,being in class,getting called on, and leaving to the next class and going home. and when im home the anxiety stops.

PisceanWisdom

nfg75 said:
im not asking for an easy way out, i just need help.

That's your problem. Be frank and ask for an easy way out. It is not an objective idea that every "good" thing is something to work hard for. If something isn't working for you, say it.

de-vin

I used to get so anxious in school, it was like hell on Earth...so I know your pain....anyway I went to a doctor and he prescibed me Imipramine...its a really good drug for anxiety...since ive been taking it I havn't had any anxiety at school...mayeb you should look into that... :)

fizzie

School is the main cause of my anxiety because of the people there, but now I have had anxiety for years if I walk out on my own I feel like I can't cope being on my own. Now at college, I am still a very nervous person, but as I am walking up to the road on college and see all the students standing there in groups talking, I get very out of breath, go very hot and feel burning up, and my heart beats very fast. I don't know why this happens, I think it's because I am on my own but it makes me feel bad everyday and it only takes me 15 seconds to walk past then after I feel all shook up.

I don't know how to stop it. I try to take deep breaths but that makes me more out of breath and my breathing pattern goes weird.

I think most people with social anxiety or shyness or anything like that, tend to get good grades which is good, but skipping school/college is ruining what you are good at. I got quite good grades because a way of me coping when I was at school was being stuck on a computer doing my own thing and try to blank everything out and concerntrate. I don't know if you do the same thing though?

Ajuna24

I don't go to school anymore, but when I did it was quite painful.
I frequently asked teachers if I could work in a place where I could be alone, but I always got turned down.

There were never anyplace to be left alone, so I skipped school alot.
When I got home I used to go down to the basement and lock the door.

Sitting in the classroom I used to have terrible stomach pains.. I was always breathing very heavy. I couldn't concentrate sitting in the middle of the classroom. I couldn't make eye contact. Well.. I didn't get any good grades. I often failed tests. But I had no problems with homework though.
I wish I had a good friend back then.. Being away from school now I feel better. But I know I can't stay here forever. I just don't know how to deal with this problem.