sad and fed up

cupcake

Hi I am new to this but have having panic attacks and also have agoraphobia for about 2 years. Its a real drag, I cant really go out on my own except maybe to the nearest shop. I would like to try some kind of anti-depressant but my doc said it may clash with my other medication, I have bi-polar disorder.

Maybe someone has some advice or ideas??
:( cupcake

corrinaelizabeth

hi cupcake basically you have to physically force your self to go out every day, I suggest going to the shop everyday even if you really dont feel like you can,I wouldnt recommend meds you need to do this your self there is no miracle cure.
After a week or so going to the shop alone,I would then try going a little further,try taking a handbag with you to hold and a cd player,you really need to push your self,I know it seems hopeless at the minute but there is no miracle cure and no one can cure you except yourself.
A couple of months ago I was exactly the same I found it hard going out in my garden but I came off all meds and forced myself,Im still not 100% there but I force myself.
Good luck I have faith in you and it might take a long time but if you dont try now this problem will gradually get worse and worse
good luck :D

Funkymunky

My heads a bit wobbly today so I cant say anything very productive except that living with Bi-Polar disorder must take tremendous strength.Luckily mines is just clinical but I have a family member who suffers the same fate as you and I've seen first hand how much he can crash after a high.Its the most painful thing to watch,everytime he feels great he thinks it will last no matter how many times he experiences it.

Sorry rambling now but my point is that even though your depression probably adds to the difficulty in going out,the inner strength your bound to have from living with this condition could also help you conquer the agoraphobia.

Good luck with every step you try and remember theres plenty of agoraphobics out there to empathise with your struggle if you ever need an ear :wink:

I think one way to help cope is to add exercise to your daily routine. It isn't a miracle cure....there are no miracle cures but to start exercising in your home, 20-30 minutes a day would be great. After exercising in the house for a few weeks start exercising in the back yard, keep that up for a few weeks then try going to your local park to exercise. It's alot of hard work but it can have great effects. If you wish to know more feel free to ask.

Rob

PS: This is what I did to break 4 year of agoraphobia, and i wasn't even able to go to the local store I was completely housebound.

cupcake

thank you for your advice

I was going alright last month as I had the courage to go to a shopping centre on my own but then one day experienced a slight panic attack. After that I did not return. But I know it is important to keep active so I am going to take lazy walks to the local shop regularly to try and lesson the agoraphobia. Is is really hard sometimes but your right that we need to force ourselves to get better.

cupcake

thank you for your advice

This seems quite different to bi-polar as when I had an 'episode' I would get over it with help then get back to my normal life again. Suffering agoraphobia and panic attacks just seems to go on. Anyway I am going to look after my self and take small steps to try to get out of the house everyday. quote="Funkymunky"]My heads a bit wobbly today so I cant say anything very productive except that living with Bi-Polar disorder must take tremendous strength.Luckily mines is just clinical but I have a family member who suffers the same fate as you and I've seen first hand how much he can crash after a high.Its the most painful thing to watch,everytime he feels great he thinks it will last no matter how many times he experiences it.

Sorry rambling now but my point is that even though your depression probably adds to the difficulty in going out,the inner strength your bound to have from living with this condition could also help you conquer the agoraphobia.

Good luck with every step you try and remember theres plenty of agoraphobics out there to empathise with your struggle if you ever need an ear :wink:[/quote]

cupcake

thank you

Robert_Dobo_USC said:
I think one way to help cope is to add exercise to your daily routine. It isn't a miracle cure....there are no miracle cures but to start exercising in your home, 20-30 minutes a day would be great. After exercising in the house for a few weeks start exercising in the back yard, keep that up for a few weeks then try going to your local park to exercise. It's alot of hard work but it can have great effects. If you wish to know more feel free to ask.

Rob

Exercise does help me, I do walk to the shop and sometimes go for a 20 min walk in the suburb. And I can tell you that when I do it regulary I develop alot of confidence and find it easy to go each time. I dont even think of panicing. Its just a matter of keeping it up.

Re: thank you for your advice

cupcake said:
I am going to take lazy walks to the local shop regularly to try and lesson the agoraphobia.

If I may add some advice, don't make them lazy walks a brisk walk would be better, It will get you blood pumping a little more and release a lot of tension.