SA and my job :'(

I feel so amazingly crap!

I started work at this gift shop last week, and I'm new so I occasionally make mistakes on the til, but everyone always makes this huge deal out of it even though everyone else makes mistakes too, and I feel lame! This one women said to me 'I know you're not stupid, but you keep making these mistakes and the boss will get sick of it', and that just made me feel stupid. Maybe I am stupid! But that woman is like 50 and she's been working behind tils since she was 15 no wonder she's good at it! I'm sorry if I have better things to succeed at than working behind a til!

The more they pressure me, and make a big deal out of the tiny mistakes I make, the more mistakes I make! Because I start panicking, and feeling so stupid and lame!

It's only a stupid job that's getting me money for a car and driving lessons, and I've only been there a week! I've never used a til before! I just hate it cos I know I'm intelligent, but I don't pick up things like how to use a til easily, I go too fast and miss hitting a key and stuff :'(

Surely jobs aint meant to cause this much self loathing?! Cos I don't think I'm gonna be able to work for my whole life if this is how it's gonna make me feel :'(

Naomi x

Sue

im sure you are not doing it on purpose. mistakes are made when people are scared. slow down and remember that you are doing your best. you will get the hang of it. its always hard at first.

Ty, I just needed a vent really.

I don't spose it matters too much even if I am bad at using the tils, it's not like I'm trying to be the worlds best sales assistant, and it's not like I want a degree in it :p I would rather be bad at using til and good at something I can get paid more than mininum wage for to be honest :)

I just feel down cos I have work in a little while, but it's only 3 hours, so I'll be cool, I'm just in the 'dread' stage ya know :p

It's just til I finish my education innit, and then I can do something I'm good at.

Naomi x

Bexi

awwww fairy, ur making mistakes everyone makes, try not to worry bout making mistakes, or u become more aware of doing it xx

black_mamba

But that woman is like 50 and she's been working behind tils since she was 15 no wonder she's good at it! I'm sorry if I have better things to succeed at than working behind a til!

Exactly, no wonder. I hate tils, my first job was in a shop where they both sold and brought merchandise too, so the till system was incredibly confusing!

If that woman has been on the tills since 15 then maybe she isn't the type to have much experience of different types of people...and therefore isn't used to someone getting so anxious over a till? I dunno, thats quite an unfair assumption to make though thats what my first impression would be.

Keep at it. Very few people are great at something when they first get started. Maybe ask the other workers how long it took them to get used to the system...my moneys on 2/3 weeks if not longer.

:D

SilverLiner

I'd say the same to be honest as well. It's hard to expect someone to to just suddenly adapt to a new working environment within a week. I wouldn't worry about it until you actually hear from the bosses mouth that she's concerned (which I doubt very much she is, she's knows you're new and should understand...if she doesn't then is it really worth it?).

There's always someone who thinks they're better than everyone else and seems to think they're on the same level as the manager just because of their experience. They have a hard time accepting they're not above the rest and end up taking it out on other people.

But just hang in there :)

cody2468

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. You are only new and it does take at least 3 - 4 weeks to settle in and get used to things. It's only normal to be nervous and anxious and that other lady should know better. If you keep making mistakes what is stopping her from explaining the correct way of doing things in a nice way instead of putting you down. Mistakes happen and I'm sure she has made her fair share of them over the years.

Thanks guys :)

I had an 8 hour shift today, was only meant to be 3, but another girl got sick and I was asked to cover her hours too.

Didn't make any mistakes today and the boss said that I was doing really well, which I really didn't expect. The woman who was being nasty to me wasn't in today, there's another girl there who also thinks she's the best thing ever to happen to the shop lol, and she was in today, but I know she's just trying to make herself feel important and special, and that's her insecurities; not mine.

Hugs to all

Naomi x