Result from the any advice thread

Secret_Smile

I ended up not going.
At first the whole group were going to attend at the resturant then it got knocked down to 5 of us (Which made me feel a hell of alot better) then it got knocked down to 4 then 3 then just me and my friend.
I would have gone but I had alot of work from college and couldn't go, plus her family would be going with us in a busy place, scared me alot.
So thats out the window (I promised her I would go out with her next week, all she has to do is call)
The big problem I'm facing now...5 minute presentation in front on my Media Studies class tomorrow. I'm dreading it. I'll be with my group of friends that I'm working with but they have trouble talking aloud as well so we're all stuck.
I tried some advice off a site about S.A and it says to write down what you're going to say and rehearse it to yourself as much as possible. I'm not sure if it will work though.Last time the teacher made us do something in front of the class I ran away...right out of the building and into the car park.
I'm terrorfied :(

shep

I'm no public speaker, but two thoughts come to mind. First, can you have a brief chat with your teacher beforehand and ask if there is a way around this. I would think that he/she would respect anyone's wish to avoid public speaking if one is uneasy about it. If that's no good and you need to go through with it, I believe that I would look at the paper you have as your guide and not at the attentive faces in front. Perhaps you can practice this in front of your family tonight or in the morning. It's possible that even one success will give you much more confidence for the next time this happens. Good luck :wink:

Anonymous

Im just curious,,,,,do you feel like you can rationalize in your head that this is really not as tramatic as your body is reacting but yet, your body still just spazes out and runs? It's just making me so mad because though i've always had this, i could still control what i wanted my body to do ....to a point at least....Now, im in the run for it mode and cant seem to shake it. Geesh, at least your young.....work on it! really! dont let it get the best of ya! Good luck, And i know theres good help out there if ya just start while your still more flexable.. :)

Secret_Smile

Yep (About the curious thing)
I know its irrational but the fear is still there. Like you, I've been able to keep controll of myself most of the time but lately I've avoided it more by running out of the lesson (and out of the college alltogether) or trying to prolong the teacher so they either forget we're supposed to be speaking or we run out of time.

Its annoying when you know you've got opinions and alot to say but you can't!

The best of luck to you too :D

Secret_Smile

shep said:
I'm no public speaker, but two thoughts come to mind. First, can you have a brief chat with your teacher beforehand and ask if there is a way around this. I would think that he/she would respect anyone's wish to avoid public speaking if one is uneasy about it. If that's no good and you need to go through with it, I believe that I would look at the paper you have as your guide and not at the attentive faces in front. Perhaps you can practice this in front of your family tonight or in the morning. It's possible that even one success will give you much more confidence for the next time this happens. Good luck :wink:
Hi

All of my teachers are aware of the fact I have alot of trouble speaking. My parents and myself explained it too them. They're not aware of how bad it actually is but they know I have difficulty.

My mum's setting me an appointment with my GP so I'm hoping thats soon so I can try and get this sorted some way or another. The 'Just bite the bullet' approach hasn't been working.

eka82

Secret, I'm sorry about what happened. I would have loved to see you go cuz I know if you had you would have felt so good you'd want to do it again sooner.

Let me give you a little tip, from an SA whose managed to overcome the fear public speaking to a certain extent. NEVER BACK OUT!

That's the secret to overcoming it: NEVER EVER EVER EVER BACK OUT!

DO IT!

SHUT THE WORLD OUT AND GO FOR IT!

When you legs feel like jelly and you get that lump in your throat and your hands shake uncontrolably and your voice wobbles like you're about to cry and you can't think straight and you feel like you're gonna throw up and your stomach feels funny and you feel you just MUST run DON'T!

Stay!

DO IT!

If you don't, you'll be back to square one. Nothing anybody can tell you will ever take the place of you making a commitment to yourselt to go through the next scenario you're faced with.

Tell youself you're gonna be ok. Believe me, a problem is not a problem unless percieved to be one. ONce you are able to see past all the jitters and don't care so much about it being obvious and people laughing at you, trust me, you'll do so great you'll even surprise yourself.

Everyone and by that I mean every single human being at some point gets the nerves adressing a group of people.
You need to tell yourself that you're gonna be ok. You have to BELIEVE that you're gonna be just fine and you will.

Have faith, have the resolve.

If you've never done anything crazy in your life, let this be the one crazy thing you ever do...the next time you feel like running away don't. Stay and see what happens. :D

You'll even be surprised how sympathetic others are towards you. Some people are able to hide it beneath a cool calm exterior. I bet if you look around you'll find "nervous" signs in your other mates. You'll find legs shaking, pen's being twirled, nervous shifting, visits to the loo, excessive smiling, laughing, or talking, even senseless teasing is also a coping mechanism.

Point is EVERYONE is nervous. Engaging in those habits helps take the focus away from the nervousness. And thats what you need to do. I suggestt all you think about is going up there giving a great presentation having a great time doing it and feeling good about yourself soon after. It wouldn't hurt to imaging you being praised by your teachers and mates too. Whatever you do, think you can do it.

Go for it.