READ if you suffer from major depression

stardog

Speaking from personal experience, if you are depressed and have SA, I don't think this site will help you much if at all, and will drag you down if anything. I know I'm generalising here, but I think that on the whole it's true...get off this site, get help with yr depression, go see a doctor. That's the most important thing you can do right now.

Depression is a barrier to real life...I know there's plenty of depressed people here. Get it sorted NOW, don't let it ruin your life. I know you feel pessimistic, but help really is out there. You can change!

ignisfatuus

I expected to find another post peddling some bullshit natural supplement or hocus pocus therapy - although similar posts such as this one occasionally pop up, your advice should definitely be taken into consideration by those who embrace the mantle of victimhood, pushing any possibility for relief further away. Avoid the internet period, as hard as that may be to do.

I'm not sure it's as easy as telling someone to "get it sorted it now", as only the individual can decide what will work the best for them and when to do it. Even taking a walk and wandering through that serene space that is sometimes created is helpful, if only briefly.

IronMaidenRockess

I tend to disagree with this one.

I felt depressed etc before finding this forum, but since finding this forum, seeing Im not alone and actually making some friends and having support from others has really helped me. I wouldnt have had the courage to get the help I needed if it wasnt for this forum and the lovely members in it.

Now usually when I come here, Im feeling much happier because Im apart of something and not alone anymore :)

I hope that makes sense!

:D

Scottish_Player

I can see your point stardog, for me when iam feeling really low and depressed i normallycome on here and put up some msg about how iam finished with the forum and ging to try and move on but i end up back here about 2 days later lol because i like it, i like to read people stuff and share my own and for me this forum has made a BIG diffrence to how i feel. It has helped me understand stuff more and sort it out.

All in all its a good place with lots of good, caring and understanding people who will give me and others help and advice that for me personaly i have no one else to tun to and ask for help.

GIOLANDA

That's what my mother says,stardog. She urges me to move from this site,because,as she claims,sharing these experiences doesn't help me at all,but it makes me even worse,it's like giving me a kind of pleasure and an identity,the identity of social phobic and therefore no change is possible. This opinion is true somehow,but it forgets our need to express things that cannot be expressed to anyone,and to communicate with people who have similar problems so as to find common solutions.
I don't think that sb without SA could help,even if he's a doctor. Personally,I felt much better since I found this site,because I used to think that nobody else has the same problems. Now I feel that I've made some progress. It's like a group therapy to me and I don't think I could ever leave this place.

maggie

stardog said:
Speaking from personal experience, if you are depressed and have SA, I don't think this site will help you much if at all, and will drag you down if anything. I know I'm generalising here, but I think that on the whole it's true...get off this site, get help with yr depression, go see a doctor. That's the most important thing you can do right now.

Depression is a barrier to real life...I know there's plenty of depressed people here. Get it sorted NOW, don't let it ruin your life. I know you feel pessimistic, but help really is out there. You can change!
hiya stardog :) .....i kinda feel in the middle on this one.....on the one hand....the day if found this site i will never forget.....just to see and read that others feel the same feelings.....share the same experiences that i do....that was a monumental discovery for me, cause i seriously thought of myself as the only one on earth that felt this way...that all the weird quirks i have would not be understood by anyone...and i really felt like a freak.....but....on the other hand.......the more time i spend sitting on the computer....in general....but also on this site....obviously means less time spent being out doing other things i should be doing....and i find...for example...., i will sooner send someone an email....than call....it's just easier for me....so, in some sense i think being online....does make my social anxiety worse :roll: