Questions about Anxiety on Medications - Cymbalta (deaf guy)

Hello everyone,

I have a question that I hope someone will help me.

I do have Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD) as well as Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD).. currently taking Cymbalta.

Cymbalta has been really helpful to me, but not completely has eliminated all anxiety. I'm taking 60 mg Cymbalta.

Here's few questions:

1) I do still have anxiety, but how do I know if my anxiety is coming from medicine or from being psychological anxiety?

2) Cymbalta has been really very helpful, but I really don't know which is the appropriate dosage for me. Are we supposed to find the appropriate dosage level that will COMPLETELY ELIMINATE anxiety to zero level?

Hope my questions make sense? Merci beaucoup :)

Seattle Guy :) :)

P.S. I'm a newbie here.... :)

Hey worrydoll,

Thanks for the welcome!!! You're right....I should ask the doctor about this, but I do wonder although....

It's my first time on any antidepressant medicine.. does anyone have experiences where the medications has made their anxiety to ZERO level? That's what I am wondering....

I still have anxiety (although considerably reduced) with taking Cymbalta.. does that mean I need to increase dosage to make sure my anxiety is at zero level.. that's what I am wondering....

Merci Beaucoup, worrydoll and thanks for the kind welcome...

Seattle Guy :) :) [/img]

Hey worrydoll,

Yes, I do still get anxiety when I am in social situations even through it's considerably reduced (due to Cymbalta)

Before medication, my anxiety on scale of 1 to 10 was like 8.... now with medication, it's like 3...higher than "normal anxiety"...

well, even with medications, I still clear throat sometimes (one of my SA symptoms) and my signs still "shake" sometimes...sometimes I blink a bit too much. I also continue not to be interested in going out to social situations even with medications. I don't think that's still in "normal anxiety range"

Then again, what is really within the normal anxiety range... Honestly, it has been years since my anxiety was in "normal range" so I don't really remember. Cymbalta has helped me "glimpse" what's it like to have "near-normal anxiety range"....

Anyone know what "normal anxiety range" is like? Anyone has been there with medication?

Oh, worrydoll, you do make more sense than you think!! (big smile) :) :)

I welcome to hearing other people's opinions? This also would greatly be appreciated!!

Merci Beaucoup! Muchas Gracias!

Seattle Guy

Hey worrydoll,

well I used to be VERY sociable!! Actually, a social butterfuly at some timese, but now 360 degrees different... so it's hard at times with my SA/GAD.

I just had a mini-panic attack regarding Thanksgiving, but I controlled my panic attack with breathing. It went away (thank god)

As for "normal', well I try not to worry about being "normal", but it would just be nice not to have SAD/GAD just like "normal" people have. I am on medication (Cymbalta) and it gave me hope that my anxiety could be in "normal level"... that's what I really want.

Hope your thanksgiving went well :)

Seattle Guy

Chilling__Echo

hey, i'm wondering how you knew you had GAD? i think i have problems with anxiety all the way around b/c i've gotten to where i don't worry about social situations exclusively. something will get on my mind and i just wake up with anxiety.

it could be anything! i worry about it all, and i know i'm being irrational, i know it's obsessive but i can't stop! arrrrgh.

Hey Chilling,

Very simple way to tell the difference betwen SAD and GAD:

Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD): basically means you are anxious around SOCIAL SITUATIONS...That's my primary problem

Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD): means you are basically anxious about everything, even if it's not social situations: That's my secondary problem

So, in my case:

I clear throats, blink my eyes, my face tighten, my signs shake when I am in social situations, hence I have SAD.. I also avoid social situations... another symptomof SAD

For GAD, I basically worry about finishing deadlines all the time (I feel very anxious when I don't finish deadlines and sometimes worry about what other people think of me.. I also get nosebled if I get too anxious about not finishing deadlines... This doesn't involve social situations...if I don't feel in control, I worry. I'm very pefectionist.. sometimes that affects my GAD.. if things aren't in what I want it to be, I worry. (much milder than my SAD, trust me)... GAD is not constant for me... I think?

Hence, reasons why I am on my medication Cymbalta... It helps my SAD huge huge..

If you WORRY about everything that's beyond reasonable, that's probably GAD.. if you are anxious around social situations, then that's probably SAD...

Makes sense? :) Hope all is well for you (big smile)

Hey, guys.. I look forward in feedback/suggestions/comments. Especially Cymbalta Users (PLEASE!!!!!!) or who has both GAD/SAD...

Merci Beaucoup! Muchas Gracias ;)

Seattle Guy

MrAnonymous

Hi seattleguy. I was taking 60 mg of Cymbalta per day, and it helped me with certain social situations. For example, after a few weeks on the drug I could go to the grocery store alone without much anxiety from the masses of people there. And I started going out more. It seemed to have reduced my SA to a more comfotable level. However, I am currently weening off of it, because it caused me to sweat profusely.

My belief is this: Taking medication can defnitely assist one in feeling more comfortable around people. But you also have to work on some things that you've missed out on your whole life. For example, I am 22 and started feeling better when taking Cymbalta (other than sweating). I had gone through my whole life without much practice in learning how to communicate effectively with people, especially girls. So I don't believe that there is any drug that can do all of this for you. The drug can get you 50% there...it's like a catalyst to help get you going. Learning to communicate and feel 100% comfortable around people can provide the other half of what you need to feel better.

Hope this helped!