Public Speaking: my worst nightmare comes true

shyandnumb

I taking a speech class and it makes my shyness go on overdrive. Even if I imagine that nothing will go wrong when actually I do the speech there is still this panically feeling going aroud inside me. It makes me want to stand in front of the video camera like a statue and force the words out of my mouth. However, it never works and I end up saying nothing for the last five minutes while my mind starts to go blank, even though, I have the paper right in front of me. :x It can be both a tiring and nerve - wreaking experience that happens every time I try to step up in the front the video camera, even thinking about it makes me sick. :cry: I have been extreme shy since I was 1yrs old. I hid when relatives come over and always hate to have my picture taking or being shown on a video camera. My basic reaction to these situations was to blush until I looked like tomato :oops: or run away til the situation has ended. But now, I can't simple run away from this classroom experience because I need this class to pass college and to rise my current GPA (2.5) to a 3.0. So, I'm stuck without a exit to escape from this situation. :( I was hoping if anybody had advice on handling these kinds of situations, please anybody, or I might go crazy. 8O

Hurricane

ok...this may sound stupid advice, and this may not work for everybody but it did it once and it helped quite a bit...drink a beer or 2 before u get to class so u feel a little relieved but not drunk or something (I know this is horrible advice but situations like that ask for horrible actions)

Falling

you can't be good in it if you continue yelling to your self that you suck... so you're wasting your time there. stop bugging your self, try to figure out what are your improvements... and not nessecerly in the first week. and WORK for the improvements.

i would give you a stupid advice but still worked with me... i had an exam last week, i didnt slept all the whole night (its weird i know! but since i have nothing to do, i try to kill time by sleeping and woke up really late)... and i went to the exam in the morning a bit tired but not that much.. i was surprised by myself how less shyness i was... usually when i enter in a hall FULL of people i get a social phobia... but that day i was really confident.

but the best advice is what has said that guy above me... drink some beers! :wink:

redlady

Hey shyandnumb - Do you practice your speeches before you have to present them? Practicing helps a lot - it gets you familiar with the words you have to speak and it will lessen your chances of going blank - do it as much as your spare time allows - speak it out loud so you can hear your own voice.
Do you have anyone that you could practice in front of? This will get you used to doing it in front of people and perhaps they could offer you some constructive criticism on your performance.
Also practice the techniques that you should employ while making speeches - eye contact, the pace that you speak, the tone and loudness of your voice - you don't want to be monotone or too quiet when you speak - Do you fidget out of nervousness? - try and consciously monitor this - find a way to control it - like placing your hands firmly on the podium etc. The more you practice the more like second nature it will become and hopefully when you do your speeches you will do them automatically. And having more control over your behaviour during speeches should lessen your anxiety as well.
Goodluck with your class.

shyandnumb

I did my speeches, but I keep my head down the whole time and refuse to look at the audience or the video camera. :( Also, the time I was able to get a camera to do the speeches, it was by 2 days before the due date. So, I had to write and type three 10 - minute speeches in the last minute, since I thought my family wouldn't be to afford a cam corder to begin with. I hope I get a "C" at least for my tape and speeches. :)

shyandnumb

bluenow said:
Head down, up, turned backwards - who cares. :D
You freakin did it, congratulations!

True, most people who are shy usually would take a "F" or refuse to appear on a video. You could say it take a lot of my inner will & courage just to speak up and say the speech. I'm kind of proud myself but I won't let it go to my head, since I have to present two more 10 minute speeches in front of audience and video camera. :? So, I would to face the anxiety of public speaking again, but maybe this time with my head up and facing the camera. :wink:

FNA

IT's a good thing you did it and got it overwith though. When I was ni college I had a speech kind of class, and I just didn't go, and didn't do it, cause I thought I was gonna drop-out at the end of the semester anyway. Well I ended up getting some really encouraging words from the head of my department and didn't drop out. But I failed the class obviously, and had to take it the next semester with students from a different course. So instead of doing these nerve-wreaking speeches in front of people who I was familiar with, I had to do it in front of a bunch of cocky business students, and attend the class where they all knew each other and I didn't. And they'd all be asking me why I was there, and It was hard to explain, you know............

shyandnumb

It must have being terrible go through a class like that, but you get through it anyway. :cry: However, I luck out and get a class on online. So, I don't have to go through that experience. :wink: Also, if anybody interested to know, I get a 21/30 or 70/100 (C) on my speech tape. Because I wasn't very descriptiveor concrete on writing the speeches and I'll was a day late. :?

shyandnumb

I did my second and final speech tape two days ago and feels good to be done with it. I actually made eye contract a few times and did a visual (handmade pie graph) in front of the video camera. 8O However, my speech on sleeplessness and drowsy driving made my audience (family members) fall asleep when I filmed it. :lol: So, it don't turn out to be so bad as I thought would because it was like talking to my self instead of the audience. Hopefully, I get a good grade on it, especially with all of the work I put into those speeches.

lostboi

I think so much of what we fear is in our minds. We are so efected by what we percieve to be reality before it even comes to pass. We crate these huge drama's in our minds but when the actual moment comes to "perform" aside from the anxiety (which can be really bad) the experience isn't usually as bad as we envision it. I know that doesn't make it any easier though. Congratulations on facing your fears. that's not an easy thing to do. and hey if your speach was on sleep and you put your audience to sleep.. I'd just think of that as some serious audience participation8O

shyandnumb

lostboi said:
I think so much of what we fear is in our minds. We are so efected by what we percieve to be reality before it even comes to pass. We crate these huge drama's in our minds but when the actual moment comes to "perform" aside from the anxiety (which can be really bad) the experience isn't usually as bad as we envision it. I know that doesn't make it any easier though. Congratulations on facing your fears. that's not an easy thing to do. and hey if your speach was on sleep and you put your audience to sleep.. I'd just think of that as some serious audience participation8O

True, many of our fears start within our minds and I'm glad to face this fear head on instead of letting take control of the situation. :? Anyway, I made a "C" for each of the speechs and on tape #2. :) I actually pass this class with a "B". 8O Thanks everyone who responded to this topic and for your advice, it really did help me get through this course. Hopefully, someone else with the same problem will come across this topic and use the same advice you had given me. :wink: Anyhow, Thanks to everyone for responding and the advice. :)