psychologist/therapist?

michelle85

i was just wondering has anyone seen a psychologist or therapist for shyness? if u did, did it help? i just wanna know bc i was thinking about seeing one but i dont really know how it would help me overcome my shyness.

benihana

Michelle, hey..a psychcologist will give you constructive tools to overcome any social problem that affects your mental health. Like goal setting for example is an important step to mental health, because it keeps you in control of your life and lets you steer yourself to those activities you find fulfilling. Talk therapy is helpful, as well, because it lets you express emotions that you were keeping inside or work out situations that you were not aware of before therapy.

It is helpful, and I think everyone can benefit from it. Social people get alot of this kind of feedback from their friends and from their social support. Although they may receive information which isn't constructive or helpful for their mental health.

Please do not think that I am saying shyness is a big mental health problem because for some it isn't. If you are comfortable with the amount of social interaction you have and function the way you want in social settings, a therapist is not needed for you shyness. If you suffer from depression which is always a mental health issue or want to be more social and not being so affects your day to day life...therapy may work!!

Two things, a pyschologist may be expensive. Mine turned to about $20 a session through my Health coverage (pretty cheap but with my budget...expensive). Another, you may feel afraid about seeking help. Just remember, everybody needs someones help. If you don't have a positive group of people you can rely on to help change a negative mental issue than a mental health professional is the way to go...

Oli025

well im not shy. not here at least.

ive never seen one.

i dunno.

i have the feeling many would not be good.
Just a few one for every 4-7 ones.

Im more into trying to get better about shyness
by myself personally.

but if you can find one that is good it must help alot.

sort of a support.
and as they say, 2 brains is better than one.

Diluted_Acid

I go to a psycho analysis, i'm pretty sure they are different to a therpist. What i have found so far in my monthly attendance, 4 days a week, is that i basically have to run through my life story . . . and literally ANYTHING which comes to mind :oops: . . . . Also i'm not exaclt getting any feed back so far from my analysis, or her telling me to do anything . . . . i think the whole point of an analysis is to help you understand the major links to your problem clearer, by refining, correcting things you may say.

So my advice may be, don't go to a psycho analysis expecting to get better just like that . . . . they have to help yuo understand your problem first . . . . but let YOU . . . not them . . . so it requires alot of strength and effort ok which we all can achieve. Also i think once the problem is caught, you then maybe negotiate with your analysis on the best ways to combat the problems in the way of your every day life, and to change thought patterns, etc.