probably existed prehistory

sensitive

i just thought about this few minutes ago. do you think SA/SP was existed before centuries or prehistory? 8O i believe so since human beings are same everywhere, everytime.

redlady don't think so but if we think about this, why social phobics are in everywhere? in Asia, Africa, Europe etc. i know this is might be weird. it is rather unbelievable. ancients had had great civilizations, i believe they had mysterious things sometimes beyond our knowledge.

u can imagine how they had lived :roll: . living in caves surrounded by wild animals :? or in small villages everywhere around the world. they must had unbelievable duties like hunting on daily basis, fighting with wild animals like tigers :? . what did our prehistory mates do that time? :roll:

elProscrito

of cousre it existed in prehistory. scientists recently found remains of homo sociophobicus. he is said to be the ancestor of all people with sp.

racheH

Yes. Whatever people can do to you now, getting on the wrong side of someone was surely more dangerous then, pre-nationwide law and order. I'd think it was more common then. Most people with it now have picked it up by observation, not personal experience. Like arachnophobia. Pretty much everyone in Britain has a mild fear of spiders, despite it being a good while since they've been dangerous. It must have been passed down from generation to generation from all those years ago. I can't see why social phobia is any different: most people have a mild or specific form, because there are so many ways of picking it up.

paul

I wonder about this -- since prehistory humans were for the most part like any other species of animals (as in their success as a species), wouldn't they not have SA? Do other animals closely related to humans like apes have SA, too? Since a lot of SA has to do with meeting new people and going to public events, which doesn't really happen that much for, say, cats, would this mean that SA is nonexistant in cats? But there are definitely cats that are shy - the kind that run away from you all the time. Is that social anxiety, or fear that you're going to hurt them?

Very interesting topic, brings up lots of questions 8O

of cousre it existed in prehistory. scientists recently found remains of homo sociophobicus. he is said to be the ancestor of all people with sp.
:lol:

redlady

Well i am going to be anthropologically agnostic here - but lean more towards the negative in my view. I certainly don't think it would have been more prevalent - why? The main concern for people in that time was basic survival - everybody had to play a part in that for the species to have survived and in order to do that they had to have close interaction with one another - prehistory was a society of hunter gatherers, a lifestyle that demanded teamwork and close links. Furthermore their lifestyles were a lot simpler - image, appearance and all that crap that we focus on now wasn't as important to them - getting enough food to sustain themselves was more of a focus along with everything else NEEDED to live.
Okay so i take back my original statement about it being impossible - their minds were as complicated as ours are now - so that rules out an impossibility. I stand myself to stand corrected - maybe.
Is anyone here an anthropologist who has written a thesis on social phobic activity of our prehistoric ancestors?

sensitive

redlady and i talked about this topic. i told her that her view is about cavmen rather than prehistoric people. i was thinking time before the Christ is prehistory, i guess i am wrong. so i meant prehistory by few thousands of years ago (even hunderds of years go) i mean any time of the Man history but modern history.

SA/SP had existed in any time of Man's history since human beings are same in everywhere and everytime, that's what i believe.

racheH

I wonder about this -- since prehistory humans were for the most part like any other species of animals (as in their success as a species), wouldn't they not have SA? Do other animals closely related to humans like apes have SA, too? Since a lot of SA has to do with meeting new people and going to public events, which doesn't really happen that much for, say, cats, would this mean that SA is nonexistant in cats? But there are definitely cats that are shy - the kind that run away from you all the time. Is that social anxiety, or fear that you're going to hurt them?
Social phobia does require quite advanced mental capabilities, like empathy, so only animals who are aware of each others feelings could get it. I expect that dogs can do this better than us in fact - they smell emotions, which I'd bet is more more accurate than how we judge facial expressions (although I doubt they can relate to the more complex feelings). So all the time our ancestors were at least as socially aware as dogs are, they could in theory have developed social phobias.

The closest thing I've seen a dog get to social phobia is a greyhound who was scared of any dog that wasn't another greyhound. This wasn't a fear of being judged by them though; he just couldn't stand the sight of them :lol: Less like social phobia than like a person feeling that everyone else is just unbearably ugly.

paul

dog-racism :(

I never knew about the "smell" emotions thing, is that something they can do with only dogs or something they can do for humans too? Imagine how that'd be for humans, if we could smell emotions, nobody would be able to cover it up with a smile!

racheH

dog-racism :(
And like most racists, it was down to his ignorance. He'd been a racing dog and only got to see other breeds when he was retired and stuck in his ways.

I never knew about the "smell" emotions thing, is that something they can do with only dogs or something they can do for humans too? Imagine how that'd be for humans, if we could smell emotions, nobody would be able to cover it up with a smile!
Yeah that's why I think they must be better at it than us. You can't fool a dog into thinking you're not scared. They smell fear. Whether or not they actually know what they're smelling when it comes to what we think of as less primitive emotions must be harder to test out. Some owners reckon their dogs know when they're going to have an epileptic fit before they do, and dogs and rats have been known to distinguish between schitzophrenics and non-schitzophrenics by their smell. So we mustn't underestimate what our furry friends could tell people about us if they should only learn to talk...