Please read this and give me your 2 cents

reassure_me

I have had OCD since I was a child, started out with washing my hands obsessively and fearing germs, then for a couple of years it was fear of having HIV and thinking I had that, and now it seems to be just intrusive, guilt-inducing thoughts that lead to me being unbearably honest with my boyfriend. I have told him which other guys I have found attractive, for instance, because I feel like if I didn't tell him, I would be keeping something from him. Anyway, last year there was someone at my work that I found attractive, he had a good personality and we had similar interests. My boyfriend has an even better personality and I have more in common with him, plus he is more physically attractive. But for some reason all of that does not seem to matter because I feel SO guilty for being attracted to this other person briefly and daydreaming about him. It is important to mention that this was during a rough patch in my relationship with my boyfriend in which I thought he was cheating on me, but he wasn't, we just weren't communicating well. So anyway, now, months later, I'm so happy with my boyfriend and everything is going so well, but I feel bogged down by remembering that I thought about this other guy for awhile. The thing that is really playing into my OCD is wondering, "What if the opportunity had presented itself and I had done something I would later regret?" The thought paralyzes me with fear and guilt. I know nothing happened but I still feel like I shouldn't have been having those thoughts when I was in a committed relationship that had just hit a bump in the road. I don't want to tell my boyfriend this whole sordid tale because I think it would hurt his feelings and needlessly mess things up. I am totally over thinking about this other person now that my relationship is back on track, yet I still feel guilty about being in that mindset. Please help!!! I need input.

I am guessing you know enough about ocd to know that these intrusive thoughts/ruminations are not only irrational , but if you take a step back and read your own post you will be shouting the same answer as me ...

"no no no don't tell him , don't fix something that isn't broken"

ocd is here to make your life a misery. Any scrap of happiness you have the ocd will make sure you pay the price mentally , until your back to this state !

You have overcome the rough patch with your boyfriend , yet you are allowing the ocd to still be the dominating part of your relationship...well its not ..you are !! Your in control and you have done nothing wrong. Your bigger and better than the ocd and you are just giving it power now.

Your boyfriend doesn't need to know that you had thoughts of another man ..honestly ..its private to you , and all you will do is ease this false guilt , but put a whole load of worry in your boyfriends head. And I am sure you know that if you do and appease yourself with this confession the ocd will then give you something else to screw your life up over and wreck your head about.

Fight this one and very soon it will lose its power.

and u think ur boyfriend never thought that way about other girls?
it's a normal thing in life
believe me..i have had severe ocd.. and right now i think i still have it and ive realized: let it ****ing be..
IT IS NOT THE NOT TELLING UR BF THE "TRUTH" THAT IS GOING TO **** U UP, IT IS THE OCD..
now i need t work on it..and hopefully u will too :)