Personal Capabiltiy Assessment

Ladystardust

I am feeeling very angry right now. last week I went for a medical to check my Personal Capability Assessment to see if I was able to claim disabilty benefit. The whole thing was a complete joke the questions the "specially trained doctor" asked me were a load of rubbish. I knew from the questions I was asked that I would not get it. She asked me qustion that really took no account of my individual circumstances or even how my problem effected some areas of my life. I get the feeling she could only click on answers that were simple like yes or no.
Needless to say I have been refused I got the letter yesterday despite my doctor giving me a medical certificate for a futher 12 weeks. I am however going to appeal because I feel that this assessment is heavily biased toward the physically disabled wich is totally wrong. Those of us who live with sp or even some other type of anxiety wil know the way the whole of owr lives is marked.

Some question I was asked

Can you take a bath by yourself?

How did you get here today?

Can you get to the shops by yourself?

I won't continue with the rest they were too stupid for words. Needless to say the idea of having to look for work is really anxiety provoking for someone like me anyone eles had a similiar experience?

Frozen_In_Time

I really do hope the appeal goes well for you. I also think that being biased towards the physically disabled is wrong, but maybe it was aimed at the disable, I don't know. I haven't had this experience...I'm...um...15 - I don't know how old you have to be to qualify for this, and what's more, I didn't know this existed :oops: Well, the best of luck to you! :)

kc69

All these government organisations treat everybody like this, to them people are just numbers on their computers. They have their government targets to meet so they don't care about the people they are supposed to help, if you are very lucky occassinally you might meet a human being but the odds are against it.

good luck

kc

Silence

Ladystardust I know what you mean!! I went for one of those assessments to see if I could get Incapacity Benefit and they also asked me ridiculous questions, I also did not qualify for Incapacity Benefit because I can stand, I can sit, I can go up and down stairs, I can walk, etc. It was very patronizing and I got asked stuff like touch my nose with my finger, walk in a straight line, stretch my arms above my head, and loads of other stupid exercises.
What's the difference between physical incapacity and mental incapacity anyway? Yeah I can stand up and I can walk but it doesn't mean that I can get a job because I'd be up all night worrying about the next day at work, then once at work I would have a horrible time avoiding everyone, and after work I'd criticize myself and end up depressed and so on...
I think that you have every right to appeal and I should have done too, but it's such a stupid system, how was I supposed to appeal when I was half depressed and had a phobia of talking to people? It's ridiculous!

Hope it goes well and you get your benefits.

Anonymous

I'm sorry to hear you were denied.

In America, we don't usually get disability pay for mental illness-- it can happen in some instances (everyone in gov't is hypervigilant against the few frauds that everyone is treated suspiciously).

You're fortunate to be in the UK though, even so, for if your situation were identical in every way except that you were in America, you would have had to pay for the evaluation! Unless you are working, over 65, or considered disabled, you get NO health coverage in America. Most people with mental illness in America have to pay out of pocket for everything. No surprise they choose relatively cheap pills over many sessions of expensive therapy (only therapy can cure SP, pills are like crutches in this regard).

I was out of work for a year and was terrified that I'd need to see a doctor. Unemployed and uninsured means bankruptcy if you get sick... or death. I was denied unemployment benefits even though I was laid off because I didn't want to drive 80 (!) miles EACH WAY to work... (now I only have to drive 50!!)...so I went broke, and never bothered seeing the shrink I should even now be seeing for depression, SP, and possible ADHD.

Sorry, I'm ranting off topic ;)

Since you may need to work, think of things that you may be able to handle with your SP. I'm a writer/editor (I used to be a journalist but SP makes it hard to find scoops or do lots of interviews with politicians and such!!). I sit in my cube all day doing my thing and am rarely bothered by anyone-- not a lot of interaction in this job. I've been here a few months now and know my coworkers well enough to not be totally flipping out inside all day (now I'm merely uncomfortable and can't wait to go home :) ). I'd love to work freelance or telecommute from home (but that requires networking-- the people kind of networking-- YIKES! ;) ). If you are artistic or a musician or a craftsperson you can work with those things... maybe you can work with animals...

Obviously the more severe your SP the more constrained your choices are... but, if you find the right position, being employed and self-sufficient can be a BIG boost to the ol' self-confidence and esteem. Yes, it's scary, but better than being homeless or some such ;).

I hope this contained a modicum of helpfulness. Good luck!

Ladystardust

I would like to thank the people that replied to my original message. I am still going ahead with my appeal but it is taking a long time to get anywere near started. My anxiety has been very high these past few weeks not helped by the fact I had to apply for a crisis loan from the social security people. My first lot of job seekers allowance was late so I was behind with paying my bills. I have also been trying to attempt to sart doing some of the things I have been avoiding. This morning I was going to join some of my fellow christians to do some of the house to house preaching work. I told my friends on tuesday I would be there but last nigt I was so anxious I could not sleep when I got to the house were the others were meeting I lost my nerve and when home. I then slept for about 4 hours. Not a great success.

Anonymous

For "Guest J",
Here, here! I couldn't agree with you more! The health system we've got in the US lets a LOT to be desired as well as undesired, & so does the judicial system... but that's another forum! One thing that has always aggravated my SP is the times I've needed to be seen by a Dr. and didn't have health insurance... they look at you like your from another planet & ask, "NO Health Insurance?!?!" Then, I've been asked if I'm aware I'll need to cover the cost of the visit, in full, and sometimes, in advance! Of course, at this time everyone in the waiting room looks up from their magazine or newspaper and focuses on YOU... ekkkkk! The freakazoid with no insurance! And they areall wondering what unfortunate circumstances forced you to be in THAT position and thanking God or Lady Luck they didn't have to face the same thing.

Everytime I am asked to fill out a questionaire regarding my teatments, I always answer the question regarding the 'waiting' the same~~~ waiting rooms are huge TRIGGERS for people that have Social Anxiety, phobias, panick attacks. I loathe waiting rooms. Why can't they just take you back to an exam room immediately? When they finally do, you seem to pass and see numerous empty rooms and I can't figure out why we aren't permitted to wait in one of them!

In defense of the 'free' health care for the people in the UK however, they may be considered to have 'free' health care, but they really don't! They pay for their healthcare in other ways, such as the cost of gasoline and cigarettes... approx. $8 US dollars per GALLON and $7 for generic cigarettes. (Help me out with actual costs here, posters, please! Thanks!) Our gasoline prices just went up to $2 and above (average) and we were belly aching, imagine paying $8. YIKES!