Panic Attacks and the dog

jd882

Anyways, I'm on day two of this horrible panic attack and I was wondering how some of you deal? I got myself a dog to feel safer in my home a few months back. (Little white friendly cockapoo named Buddy that loves attention... figures) and when I'm alone and start suffering from my panic attacks, he will not leave my side. He is contantly trying to jump up on me and get me to play with him.

Sometimes this is cute and gets me laughing, other times, I start to feel too claustrophobic because he's just on top of me all the time and I feel like my head just spirals out of control with fear and anger. So this really intensifies my panicking.

Anybody else have pets that act like this and how do you deal?

onecellinthesea

Hi jd882, I've experienced something similar. When we first got our puppy a few months ago (miniature poodle) I felt very anxious and claustrophobic and hated him following me around. My mum was always like this with me and my sister so that must be where I get it from! I felt that at times I couldn't cope with him relying on me when I felt I couldn't look after myself properly.

I have slowly gotten better at being able to cope with the feelings of claustrophobia by making an effort to be more patient, relaxed and try to address the puppy's needs instead of getting stressed by him being in my face all the time. Dogs are very sensitive to human emotions and I now try to understand that he is trying to make me feel better, or needs exercise or to be played with.

We almost lost him as he was poisoned and that really scared me, I couldn't be without him now!
P.s. Would love to see a pic of Buddy!

ImNotMyIllness

This could backfire on you but getting another dog might be a good idea. That way he has a another fury friend to play with and isn't so lonely.

ImNotMyIllness

Trying to convince the boyfriend of this but he is hhaving none of it :)

:question: You might need a new boyfriend. LOL. Just kidding. That sucks. Two dogs can create a little more upkeep but they do keep each other company.

From personal experience, crying works. We guys, don't know how to handle that from our girlfriends. Just start to cry and say how lonely your dog looks. He'll cave in!

jd882

As soon as I figure out how to post a picture, I definitely will! My animals, as much of a pain they are, have each played a significant role on my long journey towards feeling a little better. I can't handle another dog, unfortunately. Besides my dog Buddy, I've got 3 guinea pigs of my own (Woody, Cpt. Jack Sparrow, and Jessie), another piggie that I'm fostering (Diesel), and two older rats (Zeek and Cecil) that I rescued from death row. Shortly after I went on disability, I started reaching out to volunteer my time to help some animals find good homes. I taught myself how to design websites and before I knew it, these poor furry kids found their way into my heart. I have however helped place quite a few good piggies in homes other than mine! LOL

And besides all this, my female guinea pig and dog have something going on. They cuddle during playtime and whine to each other when she's in her cage.

ImNotMyIllness

On the top left next to home you'll see User CP (click on that). To change your avatar (default picture) go to the left hand side, and click on Edit Avatar under Settings & Options. Also on the left under Networking is Pictures and Albums. Click here to create an album with all of your animal pictures.

Can't wait to see them! :)

jd882

Got it. Had to use a picture of my rat Zeek for my avatar thing. I uploaded the pigs of the rest of my pets too on an album! I feel acomplished tonight. Thanks! LOL

onecellinthesea

:question: You might need a new boyfriend. LOL. Just kidding. That sucks. Two dogs can create a little more upkeep but they do keep each other company.

From personal experience, crying works. We guys, don't know how to handle that from our girlfriends. Just start to cry and say how lonely your dog looks. He'll cave in!

Hahaha!

...And besides all this, my female guinea pig and dog have something going on. They cuddle during playtime and whine to each other when she's in her cage.
That is so sweet! I wish my cat and dog had a thing going on, he tries to trample her and play and she hisses. Lol.

Aw great, will check out your pics now. I'll also upload some of my own :)

jd882

I know the dog means well. Rescued Buddy from a neglect situation thanks to a friend of mine. He's 7 and the friendliest (and most spoiled) brat you've ever seen. Sometimes when I get very sentimental about my animals, I want to start some sort of "therapy" group that matches pets to people in need. My pets push me to accept responsibility, sometimes make me laugh, sometimes get on my nerves, but they are always there.... When I think of what mine have done for me, I just want to share this experience with others... be it a goldfish or a great dane.... They both listen to your issues without judging you.

Can't wait to see the pics of your pets too! :)

onecellinthesea

I know the dog means well. Rescued Buddy from a neglect situation thanks to a friend of mine. He's 7 and the friendliest (and most spoiled) brat you've ever seen. Sometimes when I get very sentimental about my animals, I want to start some sort of "therapy" group that matches pets to people in need. My pets push me to accept responsibility, sometimes make me laugh, sometimes get on my nerves, but they are always there.... When I think of what mine have done for me, I just want to share this experience with others... be it a goldfish or a great dane.... They both listen to your issues without judging you.

Can't wait to see the pics of your pets too! :)

Setting up a pet therapy group sounds really good! Pets can be so helpful. When I was horribly low and was not eating or leaving the house I got myself a hamster. It sounds really sad but he gave me a reason to get up in the mornings!

Buddy is so lovely! I've put a couple of pics on my profile :)