Panic Attacks and an Avatar

Would you be intersted in a virtual reality site designed for those with social anxiety disorders?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

calbandgreat

Hi All,

I am new to this web site, but not to phobias. I have lived my entire life in fear. In my mid 30's the fear morphed into full blown panic attacks. I will not go into details, because I know that my experiences are no worse than yours; we all think no one can understand what we are going through, but, in fact, there is a huge, untapped support
group out there, however, it is difficult to find, and, therefore, to communicate with.

If anyone would like to read what I have written about my disease, please contact me by email and I will forward to you the write up I completed as a part of my therapy. It has helped others.

I am one of the lucky ones. I bit the bullet and sought real help. I started with biofeedback. This was the tool that aided me most. I went through three psychiatrists, but soon discovered that there was no real understanding, or empathy, to my problem. I have taken many meds (buspar, xanax, enderal, etc), but finally found a doctor who knew what he was doing and prescribed a combination of pills that, (along with my biofeedback exercises) have helped me immensely.

I am a senior officer with a virtual reality company, There.com. You probably know what this is; our main competitor is SecondLife. You can go to http://www.there.com/ for a brief description of who we are. No sign-up is needed.

So why did I write this? I am trying to get There.com to build a separate island for those with Social Phobias: A Social Phobia World, if you will. There is no cost to go into the world as an avatar and meet other people with similar experiences. What is an avatar? The self designed character that you choose to reprsent you in the virtual reality world. I know, if you have never experienced virtual reality, this sounds crazy. I am in my 50s and, after I came to work here, it took me a long time to 'figure it out'.

Random ideas: (remember this is your avatar who would be attending) presentations by leaders in the field of Social Phobias, parties, hover car races (yes we can do this), group discussions, but most importantly, another person (avatar) who you can have a private conversation with, a person who will understand what you are communicating.

Anyway, I would be interested to hear what you think of having your avatar walk around in a world where you can meet others with the same issues?

Mick