Panic attack, wierd story

Pzafoo

This was defiantly the weirdest thing that ever happened in my life but i swear it is all true...even though my family doesn't believe it to this day :(

So right now I'm in grade 11 but when this happened I was in grade 7, so a good few years ago. So I was suffering for about a week or two with what I now know is Depersonalization disorder but at the time I thought i was going crazy. I was sleep deprived and under a lot of stress from many different sources. So one night after a day of particularly stressful dealings with parents my brother (jokingly) said, " The real problem is that, well...I'm homo sexual." Now normally I'm not close minded or against anyone for anything but this caused an irrational fear in me. So I went to the bathroom just to clear my mind. I started seeing weird faces staring back at me on my reflection every time I blinked. This put me on edge so much I started shaking uncontrollably and I sat down on the floor for 15 minutes.

After I left the bathroom, I saw my brother crawling up the stairs. The light was shining on his face in such a way that I thought he was evil. Again I started shaking uncontrollably and started grabbing the walls. I screamed without even thinking about it and not being able to stop. after a second or so of this I involuntarily jumped down a flight of stairs, I was having an out of body experience at that time but was able to recognize that my body was still screaming and jumping down stairs.

As i said my family still doesn't believe me, they still roll their eyes and think that I was being foolish. It still freaks me out to this day even now understanding what condition I was in. Minor depersonalization episodes still happen to me every once in a while but nothing of this severity and never a related panic attack.

Any feedback or comments would be much appreciated. thanks!

okkamsrazor

Hello Pzafoo :) weird situation for sure and I can see how it could have been quite upsetting and confusing for you. Your story reminds me of an experience which happened to an old friend of mine when he was in his house. Basically he was walkin down the stairs and came across his cat, he sat down on the top flight and petted the cat etc when all of a sudden a black shroud/presence came out of his left side of vision (with noone else in the house) and he totally freaked, to the point he almost fell down all the stairs (luckily he managed to grab the banister halfway). He didnt know what to make of it until he bought it up in conversation and a wiser man than me told him to get checked for EPILEPSY, to which he did and, low and behold, turned out to be just that.
Consider asking for a EEG, MRI or PET for possible epilepsy because it sounds like it could be that. Of course; you'll have to see your GP and explain what happened.
All the best
Okk

Pzafoo

Ya epilepsy was one of the things I thought of the morning after as one of the possible explanations, it certainly could be seen as a seizure if you were watching it. haha It was also upsetting because for a while i thought i was possessed by a demonic force.
ya ill look into that possibility further, thanks okkamsrazor